Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
brockettbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have been doing ice baths but i takes a long time. i will check and see what the temp of my tap water is. i usally have to get my wort down to 50 degrees

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 62

My tap water gets my wort down to 68 in 15 minutes, after that I seal it up and place it in the cooling chamber until it is about 55F then pitch. It usually takes about 6 hours or so in the chamber to cool down.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Pabst51
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewScout View Post
If his tap water isn't cold enough, he would need to pump colder water through to get wort chilled in a timely manner. Just fill one sink with ice and discharge hot water into the other side if you have double sinks. If not then use a cooler filled with cold water.
I just made one the other night.. Pics posted in the "Equip. / Sani." topic on the forum. I plan on using it in a different configuration than pictured. I have a small fountain pump I already had around here that will be submerged in a sink with water and ice (they sell for about $20.00 at Lowes), a transmission radiator that I plan on using after the pump for additional cooling in the same sink, then into the coil which I bought the pipe for at Lowe's for about $23.00... Then I am going to flow the hot into the other sink or out the window. As it sits now it cools 3 gal. of water from a boil down to 80* in about 17 minutes... I'm expecting much more rapid chilling once I reconfigure and add the ice.

Keep in mind that in all I have about $45.00 worth of materials here (not including the Trans. cooler), you can buy one already set up,for about the same....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-t...cooler-317264/

With a name like Pabst, you would think I'd have brewing in my blood... =}~

Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #14
brockettbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thanks everyone

Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #15