New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort came out more bitter than expected

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The times listed for hop additions refer to how much time is LEFT in the boil. A 50 minute addition means you add it when you have 50 minutes of boil time left. A 10 minute addition means add the hops when you have 10 minutes of boil time left.

Ya, what JLem said. (beat me to it)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
(fwiw, I've never heard of a 50 minute addition, which leads me to believe the OP's recipe had a 10 minute addition - i.e. 50 minutes INTO a 60 minute boil -, especially since it already included a 60 min addition)
I have seen this. It would result in less bitterness in low hopped European beers. This is a hefeweizen recipe. If anything I would assume the rogue customiz0r of this recipe was considering adding cascade for aroma at 10 to 0 minutes. I have not seen a great many recipes with cascade as The bittering hops. Anyway the original document is perhaps lost forever.

Come to think of it, I think the Sierra Nevada PA clone I've been using starts with hops additions at 45 minutes.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
I am under the understanding that it is just the opposite, 50 minutes would mean 50 minutes into the boil (10 minutes to go on a 60 minute boil)
I have brewed mostly from kits or kit instructions and that is how they are written.
No, that is incorrect. Kit instructions that I have seen do it the way I do it, so I'm not sure which kits you've used that are "backwards".

Say a recipe is written like this:

1 oz 60 minutes
.5 ounce 15 minutes
.5 ounce 1 minute (or flameout)

The first hops go in at 60 minutes, or at the beginning of the boil. When you add the hops, set your timer for 60 minutes. When there is "15 minutes" left on the timer, add the 15 minute hops. (This would be after boiling for 45 minutes). And when there is 1 minute left on your timer, add the 1 minute hops.

I know that seems confusing, but think how it would be if it was reversed! I mean, I do a 90 minute wort boil. So, when do you add 1 minute hops if it's the other way? With 89 minutes left? That would be extra confusing!

Just like when you make a cake from a recipe, there are certain standards in the way a recipe is written, so it is in brewing. Brewing standards are that "XXX minute" hops are always boiled for that length of time. 15 minute additions are boiled for 15 minutes. This avoids confusion.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #14
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No, that is incorrect. Kit instructions that I have seen do it the way I do it, so I'm not sure which kits you've used that are "backwards".

Say a recipe is written like this:

1 oz 60 minutes
.5 ounce 15 minutes
.5 ounce 1 minute (or flameout)

The first hops go in at 60 minutes, or at the beginning of the boil. When you add the hops, set your timer for 60 minutes. When there is "15 minutes" left on the timer, add the 15 minute hops. (This would be after boiling for 45 minutes). And when there is 1 minute left on your timer, add the 1 minute hops.

I know that seems confusing, but think how it would be if it was reversed! I mean, I do a 90 minute wort boil. So, when do you add 1 minute hops if it's the other way? With 89 minutes left? That would be extra confusing!

Just like when you make a cake from a recipe, there are certain standards in the way a recipe is written, so it is in brewing. Brewing standards are that "XXX minute" hops are always boiled for that length of time. 15 minute additions are boiled for 15 minutes. This avoids confusion.
I realized after I posted, I have read in numerous books and saw in videos. I even scoffed at the kits I have brewed as having it backwards. It is the amount of time left to boil. ( not thinking clearly, maybe because I sampled my porter just now)
The kits I am referring to are Brewers Best, they tell you to add bittering hops and some extract at the beginning but they tell you other additions by how long it has been boiling for the most part, they even put a timetable in a column by the side.
Stuff like this can easily lead someone writing a recipe to have it backwards I would imagine.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
Horseflesh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

To further confuse matters, I checked the recipe printout from my LHBS. This is from an "American-Style Hefeweizen."

In the materials section, they list the hops like this:

1 oz Cascade @ boil
1 oz Tettnanger @ 50 minutes

If you read the detailed step-by-step instructions, they make it very clear that these are elapsed times. "At 50 minutes into the boil, add the Tettnanger hops."

I had no idea that other recipes might not use elapsed times. So, while I have not messed up any cooks (at least not THIS way) I learned something to look out for when I use recipes from other sources.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post

I had no idea that other recipes might not use elapsed times. So, while I have not messed up any cooks (at least not THIS way) I learned something to look out for when I use recipes from other sources.
Yep, that's confusing all right! When you see a recipe from a new source, read it over and make sure it's correct. Or, you can post it on the forum and one of us can take a look and see if it makes sense.

There are TONS of bad recipes out there! So it always is a good idea to have another set of eyes (or another 100,000 sets of eyes ) take a look.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #17
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Regarding your initial question, my worts have all tasted far more bitter, or at least more unpleasantly bitter, than the finished products. Usually they're good and hint vaguely at what the beer will end up like, followed by a strong unpleasant sort of bitter aftertaste. This has always gone away.

(On the lightly-bittered batches, the bitterness was not there, IIRC.)

Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
Horseflesh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks Zeg. I'll just have to wait and see.

Observing the flavor changes over the first weeks is one of the neatest parts about the whole thing, this just gives me something else to make notes on.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Horseflesh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Zeg, I tasted the brew after 12 days and the bitterness faded exactly as you described. I think this will be a good batch.

Quick Reply