Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The worst noob mistake to make...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default The worst noob mistake to make...

As the title says, this thread is dedicated to the worst possible thing to happen to a newer brewer (IMO). Lets face it, you probably will not screw up your 1st beers nearly as bad as you think you will. So, what is this horrible mistake? I can sum this up with 1 word PIPELINE.

What is a pipeline? I did not really understand this concept until it was way, way to late. I brewed my 1st batch on St. Pats day weekend, about 5 weeks after that I brewed my second batch. Since, I was going to get 1/2 or less of the original batch (brewed w/ my dad).

Life happened and I continued to drink my Smithwick's as I normally have. Waited and waited to see how the 1st beers tasted before I made more. Nearly 2 months! Well, they turned out FANTASTIC IMO. They were so good, I started drinking more and more home brews and less and less store bought brews. Dang, those Home Brews are good!

5 weeks ago reality shows up and decides to slap me awake rudely.(Reality being my 2nd arch-nemesis, only to gravity) I have gotten "hooked" on home brew and to make things even worse I was down to my last 12. Basic math kicked in and said that I needed around 6 weeks before any would be ready or close to it. So I planned and brewed my next batch 1 month ago.

Well, I will be bottling that batch tonight so in 1 weeks time I can drink me a green beer, which is not anywhere nearly as good as a properly conditioned beer. I will also be brewing 3 batches of different beers on Monday.

I have been hording, like some Hollywood crack head, my last 3 home brews. I actually went the last 8 days without any. I have tried other micro brews I even had a round of DFH 90 min IPA's and nothing seems to satisfy that evil; little homebrew demon inside. I can satisfy him by feeding him this weekend the last few homebrews I have but let me tell you, this is not fun or pretty.

In order to aid other newer brewers from making the same mistake as me, Plan to do a batch every 30 days at a minimum after your 1st batch, 3 weeks is better. This is a pipeline, where you brew more than you can drink, so you never run out!

I promise you it is not as bad to brew a few batches up before tasting the 1st ones as it is to run dry...and never get caught up in the fact you have some around so "I can wait to brew some more."

Live and learn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brewed my first 3 batches in a span of 8 days.

I have brewed at least 5 gallons every week since. Doubled up 3 weeks ago and last weekend was the first weekend I did not brew this year. Not sure about you, but this barley keeps beer on tap in my house.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
knelson
Recipes 

Amen! There is no such thing as too much beer, but a beer shortage is just short of criminal.

If you love all things beer... Click here to check out my blog!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
knelson
Recipes 

Dang BendBrewer...what do you do with all that beer? Thats impressive.

If you love all things beer... Click here to check out my blog!!!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Find a house brew that you like that can be ready quicker? A session bitter or mild or something. Drink that while your regular brew is prettying itself up for a night out with you.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The worst noob mistake? That's easy: dumping out a batch because you "think" it's infected...

Yes, I'm guilty of this, many years back...

Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have 5 in various stages of fermentation. I need to go KEG because of how often I will have to bottle if I don't. That is now my biggest issue.

I was warned though early on to make another batch about two weeks out of the first one, and plan batches and fermentation times so that there is always something.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

This is a good point... nothing is better at improving patience with letting your home brew age properly than having plenty of home brew available to drink already.

worst noob mistake I ever made was forgetting to attach my MLT manifold before doughing in. 160 degrees is HOT on bare hands pushing through the grist.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knelson View Post
Dang BendBrewer...what do you do with all that beer? Thats impressive.
Prolly lots of housemates

In my house I couldn't go through that much beer even if I bathed in it... I'm getting an idea...

Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Worst noob mistake is to keep getting smashed on brew day. Over excitement is NOT an excuse! You should never do it. I found that out the hard way.......Several times.

Quick Reply