Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > worried that my OG is too high...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
RyanT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default worried that my OG is too high...

I brewed my first beer, a brown ale, from p. 92 of Randy Mosher's book: "Radical Brewing." I used a mini-mash recipe, whereby i steeped grains before adding dry amber extract, and then the hops, etc. In his recipe, Mosher lists a "Gravity: 1.06" but does not specify if that is a final gravity or an original gravity.

Anyways, everything went OK I think, but I am wondering about my OG reading of 1.123. I adjusted it for temperature, so I know I didn't mess that up. I spoke with two experienced brewers about this OG - one guy said: "Sounds good to me. you have plenty of sugar in there for the yeast to chew through." Another fella said: "Wow. That is a really high OG. You might very well have a very thick and sugary beer. Yeast won't chew past an OG of about 1.09."

If Mosher was intending to give me the OG at 1.06, then I am way off, huh?

Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

I'm thinking that the 1.123 is not accurate. If you used a "normal" recipe, you wouldn't have an OG like that. That's even higher than wines.

I'm guessing that either the sample wasn't mixed up well with the top off water, or that you somehow got a heavier sample.

If you post your recipe, we can tell you want your OG should be, approximately. I'd think that the Mosher OG would be pretty accurate.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
RyanT
Recipes 

Recipe:

6.0 amber dry extract
2.0 biscuit/amber malt
1.0 medium crystal

.75 northern brewer hops for 90 min
.5 northdown hops for 20 min

yield is 5 gal
gravity: 1.067
alcohaul/vol: 5-5.8%

mashed the biscuit and crystal at 157 degrees for 45 min in 3 quarts of water. then i added 2 gal of water and the amber extract, then the hop schedule.

I remember that i did mix up my fresh water and wort when i put it in the fermenting bucket. perhaps not enough, but i think i did do it sufficiently.

Here is one idea- when i did the mini-mash, i kept pushing the grains around with my spoon, attempting to push out more flavor. there was no direction on this in the recipe. Perhaps i actually over-extracted too much sugar in my mini-mash?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
Recipe:

6.0 amber dry extract
2.0 biscuit/amber malt
1.0 medium crystal

.75 northern brewer hops for 90 min
.5 northdown hops for 20 min

yield is 5 gal
gravity: 1.067
alcohaul/vol: 5-5.8%

mashed the biscuit and crystal at 157 degrees for 45 min in 3 quarts of water. then i added 2 gal of water and the amber extract, then the hop schedule.

I remember that i did mix up my fresh water and wort when i put it in the fermenting bucket. perhaps not enough, but i think i did do it sufficiently.

Here is one idea- when i did the mini-mash, i kept pushing the grains around with my spoon, attempting to push out more flavor. there was no direction on this in the recipe. Perhaps i actually over-extracted too much sugar in my mini-mash?
No, you can't over extract sugar. I mean, the sugar that is there is all that is there. There isn't any more present than what the grain can provide. An 1.123 OG is impossible with that amount of grain and extract in 5 gallons. You can always check the reading again, if in doubt.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

More than likely you didn;t thoroughly stir the wort with the top off water, It takes 5 minutes of heavy stirring to full integrate the two together. It's a common beginner mistake. We get these kinda posts on a daily basis with first time extract brewers.

Your real OG is around 1.069 with those ingredients for a 5 gallon batch.

Trust me, it will be fine. Use 1.069 or 1.067 as you og and take you fg as normal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1.067 sounds about right for a 5 gallon batch (I got 1.069). However, from the looks of the steps you took you did 3 quarts + 2 gallons. Which is 2.75 gallons. And for that amount of fermentables 1.126 is what I come up with. Which isn't far from your 1.123. Sounds too me like your recipe was for 5 gallons but you only made a 2.75 gal batch.

EDIT: If you did in fact add water to get to 5 gallons perhaps your sample was taken before adding the extra water?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
No, you can't over extract sugar. I mean, the sugar that is there is all that is there. There isn't any more present than what the grain can provide. An 1.123 OG is impossible with that amount of grain and extract in 5 gallons. You can always check the reading again, if in doubt.
I ran it through Beermsith- the highest you can expect is 1.067 in a 5 gallon batch.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

There's no way you got 1.123 from that recipe. You had to have undermixed and pulled a heavy sample. Did you measure before topping off to 5 gallons?

I'm coming up with 1.069 for an OG, based on a 75% eff. in Beer Alchemy.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
RyanT
Recipes 

Everyone- thank you very much for your replies. I know for certain that i made 5 gallons of liquid, and then took a reading after adding the water, so that solves that part.

here is the problem, which i got from your quick replies - i only stirred the wort and new water together for about 10-20 seconds. The poster above said that I should stir for 5 min! So most likely i got a bogus reading because of this.

i will now sit back and enjoy a microbrew, in place of having a homebrew (which i will not have for another few weeks).

Old 12-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd have guessed that a 10-20 second stir would have helped more than not at all. Go figure. I'm sure it will all work out in the end though. Good luck.

Quick Reply