Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Worried about priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
lhill80720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Worried about priming

I'm new to brewing and I just started fermenting an Amber Ale. Since I'm new to this, the instructions about adding the priming sugar doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the sugar is going to mix well if you add all the sugar at once to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Should I stir the batch to mix the sugar once it has been transfered to the bottling bucket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sorry about that...had not bought from them in a while.

You could try http://www.homebrewstuff.com

Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
vhanley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhill80720 View Post
I'm new to brewing and I just started fermenting an Amber Ale. Since I'm new to this, the instructions about adding the priming sugar doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the sugar is going to mix well if you add all the sugar at once to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Should I stir the batch to mix the sugar once it has been transfered to the bottling bucket?
I'm no expert being fairly new to brewing myself but my understanding is that when racking to your bottling bucket the movement of the new solution is more than enough to mix the priming sugar in.

That being said, from a straight up chemistry standpoint it should be more than enough. Assuming that you created a solution with the sugar in water beforehand it should mix well enough during the racking process. From what I've gathered from the more experienced guys on this site you don't want to stir it much anyway at this point in order to prevent a lot of oxygen from getting in.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

It sounds like you mean to just dump the sugar in the bottling bucket to mix. Instead,boil 2C of water for a few minutes,then add the measured amount of sugar & stir to dissolve. Cover it & cool a bit. Start racking the beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the surface of the swirling beer.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It sounds like you mean to just dump the sugar in the bottling bucket to mix. Instead,boil 2C of water for a few minutes,then add the measured amount of sugar & stir to dissolve. Cover it & cool a bit. Start racking the beer into the bottling bucket,then slowly pour the priming solution into the surface of the swirling beer.
This is exactly what I do and I have never once had an undercarbed or overcarbed bottle of beer, it is all uniform.

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
vhanley
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
This is exactly what I do and I have never once had an undercarbed or overcarbed bottle of beer, it is all uniform.
Same here. Since you're adding your brew to the solution you've created with the priming sugar it starts mixing in to the new solution immediately.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

If you've boiled priming solution and are adding it to the bucket while racking the beer over, it really mixes itself better than most new brewers think it does. It's not like mixing oil and water, you're really mixing two very similar densities that want to go together.

We talk about this at least once a week on here, here's part of a discussion from before the holiday;

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
Regarding the "stir" debate...

I did a little experiment about a year ago. You can try this too.

Take a cup of water and add your favorite color of food coloring to it. Add a lot of food coloring so that the color is nice and dark. Dump it in a bucket. Rack 5 gallons of clear water from another bucket on top of the colored water with a siphon. This imitates racking beer onto priming sugar. You'll notice that the cup of colored water mixes in with the 5 gallons of clear water very nicely. Give it a try!
Yup. I don't know why this is so hard for people to grasp.... One of these days I'm actually going to brew an extremely light beer, like a kolsch and tint my priming sugar solution, and get the clearest bucket I can find to use as a bottling bucket, maybe one of those plastic containers from a restaurant supply store, and put 2 or three cameras on the damn thing to have three different angles, and record it mixing, and finally put this damn myth to rest.

It's one thing to be dropping dry sugar into the bucket, and another to be mingling two liquids of nearly the same density.
Just ignore the bottles for a minimum of 3-4 weeks, let them do their thing, and more than likely you'll be perfectly fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply