Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Worried about my brew...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
william146
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Worried about my brew...

Brewed just my 2nd batch on Friday (took off from work to do it - not a bad way to spend a day off!) ... double IPA. Everything about Brew Day was smooth (the wort tasted good), but by Sunday I was worried that I didn't see any bubbles in my airlock. On Tuesday, I still hadn't seen any bubbles so I went to my LHMS and got some more yeast, but today read a thread that said to use my hydrometer and that bubbling airlocks are not a given.

I notice that there's a layer of trub on the inside of the bucket, so I take that to be a good sign. My OG was 1.100 - today is 1.000 ... what should I be expecting this to go down to? Also, the beer I drew for the reading had that "homebrew" smell and taste to it (hard to describe, but it's sort of off and I've had it happen to all of my brews).

Thanks for being patient with a noob!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
fatguy-littlecoat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thats a heavy beer... give it time... be patient... i wouldnt worry about the taste at this stage... its fermenting..

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
slomo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If your og was 1.100 and it is now 1.000 you are done fermenting. Though I think that you might be reading your hydrometer wrong. It is pretty difficult to get an ale to totally ferment out. What are your fermentation temps, what was your receipe and brewing techniques?

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
jaba
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Are you sure it started at 1.100? That's a pretty big beer, and for it to ferment down to 1.000 is pretty incredible.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What was the recipe, and what was the yeast. To ferment from 1.100 to 1.000 in a few days, I would say that you have a huge amount of simple sugars (honey, sugar, fruit juice, etc), and used a wine yeast, or other high gravity yeast.

Most ale yeasts will not ferment that low. That's 13% abv, most ale yeasts will give up before 12%, and even then you need to feed them the sugar in intervals to get there.

If it was brewed with malt extract, and you used a normal yeast, I would expect the final gravity for a 1.100 wort to get down somewhere in the region of 1.020-1.030 (70 to 80% apparent attenuation), giving 9.0%-10.5% abv.

Trub on the bottom doesn't mean a thing, it is just the solids settling out. A ring left by kraeusen around the top is a better indication of fermentation.

Quick Reply