Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Worried about my beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Default Worried about my beer

I brewed a German Alt and have it in my freezer. The temp is set at 60F, but the garage has been cold enough to keep the freezer temps to around 56-57F. The low end of the yeast I used is 59F. Is a couple of degree lower going to hurt? It's been fermenting for a week now at that temp so thought I would ask.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
Channel66
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1048 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Actually that's not bad fermentation actually creates heat so the liquid in the fermenter well actually be a few degrees warmer than ambient.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 68

It would be helpful to know which yeast you're using, but most likely, 56 is not low enough for them to give up. It might take a bit more time. Most clean fermenting yeasts can deal with low to mid 50's with no issues.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
It would be helpful to know which yeast you're using, but most likely, 56 is not low enough for them to give up. It might take a bit more time. Most clean fermenting yeasts can deal with low to mid 50's with no issues.
Sorry.

Safale US-05
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 01-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

05? You'll want to get that up a little warmer, then. If you were using an Alt yeast, you'd be okay, but 05 likes it a bit warmer than that.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Yesfan

Recipes 

I went ahead and moved it in my basement. Since then, it seems my airlock has had more activity. The average room temps there have been 70. It set in the freezer for a week, so I may leave this batch in the basement for the next two weeks, then I'll bottle it.

Quick Reply