Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > working without a net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Daddymem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default working without a net

I've graduated from extract kits to my first all grain using the brew in the bag method. I've got a 60 qt pot, turkey fryer burner, bucket fermenters, and temperature control with an aquarium heater in a bin in my cellar.

Kits are the recipes already, and my AG recipe came from someone. I am sitting on two cans of pale liquid malt extract (6.6# total, Muntons I think). I've had these a few months now (Nov., Dec?) and who knows how long they were on the shelf at the lhbs. I don't have a lot of hope for a fresh flavor from them. I need ideas on what to brew, I have a couple. (these would include the 6.6# extract I have already)

EPA
1# crystal
2oz Kent
s-04
cheapest solution, but can't hide the extract in this if it doesn't taste fresh

Irish Honey Red
3oz roasted barley
1oz willamette
1 oz fuggles
Irish Ale yeast
Would this be enough to hide any issues with the extract?

IPA
1.5# Amber DME
1# crystal
1# wheat
1 oz chinook
1oz cascade
S-04 dry yeast
This would probably cover any extract issues.

I'm open to anything. I can do partial or full boil all extract, mini mash, or all grain brew in a bag now so the sky is the limit and that is the problem for me coming up with what to brew using this specific ingredient as opposed to picking a brew and getting the ingredients for that one or simply buying a kit. Maybe a big beer using the extract to boost gravity or something totally different like a braggot...I'm just drawing a blank.

TIA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymem View Post
I've graduated from extract kits to my first all grain using the brew in the bag method. I've got a 60 qt pot, turkey fryer burner, bucket fermenters, and temperature control with an aquarium heater in a bin in my cellar.

Kits are the recipes already, and my AG recipe came from someone. I am sitting on two cans of pale liquid malt extract (6.6# total, Muntons I think).
3.3 lbs + 3 gallons = 1.041, perfect for a starter wort. Make it when you need one, and can up the leftover. Or use part of a can of LME and freeze the remainder until you're making the next starter.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Brilliant!

Quick Reply