Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Woops...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Woops...

So in my house we keep Star San in a spray bottle under the sink with "STARSAN" written in big letters on the label. We, of course, also keep spray bottles of lots of things under the sink.

I procrastinated all weekend and so on Sunday night I was in a rush to bottle my beer before the work week. I rinse my bottles in the dishwasher and use the heated dry - not to sanitize my already clean bottles (the washer doesn't get quite hot enough), but just to rinse away any residues and make them nice and shiny. After that I spray some Star San in, swoosh it around, empty, then fill and cap.

Anyways, we finished up at 10 PM and I asked the lady to put away the Star San. Then I hear from the other room, "Baby, ummm... I think you used the wrong stuff." Long story short, in my rush to bottle I grabbed the spray bottle of diluted Ecover instead of Star San.

It could be worse. Luckily I was brewing a pale ale so a slight citrus flavor might be unnoticeable. Also, I'm glad that I had put them in the dishwasher so at least they were mildly sanitized. I'll find out in a few weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Hah. Oops! Chances are it will turn out fine, but either way you have an interesting story to give that beer a good name

Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You'd be surprised what you *can* get away with when making beer... nothing I would recommend, but in my experience, I'm sure it will come out fine.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yea from that ingredient list i cant see much that would harm you or your beer.theres a few ingredients im not sure on but if its eco friendly its made to avoid harm to critters much smaller then you

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
JeffersonJ

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I'm not really worried about any possible side effects. It was such a small amount too.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is an infection. I forgot to mention that I sprayed down the bottling bucket, syphon, and tubes down with the same stuff. Will probably be fine though.

Quick Reply