Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wood Chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
CaptainSwiller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wood Chips

I added wood chips and hops to an IPA in secondary about 5 days ago. Now there are chunks floating in it and a creamy looking substance covering the top. I don't think the chunks are pieces of the wood, but I guess it's possible. Anyways, is it infected or does this happen when you add the wood?

I should add that I did boil the chips for about 5 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Post a photo to help others make a diagnosis.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Careful with wood chips, they're a sharp sword. You don't need a lot to exert woody flavor, and I'd use a micro-film bag to avoid danger from the chips coming apart and leaving small shards and slivers to choke on. Did you boil them before adding to the wort? I would boil them for at least 20 mins in a solution of water and 1 crushed campden tablet. Better yet if you got a pressure cooker, this is an even better way to sanitize these. I agree, that to diagnose your problem we need photos and more info on your process! Good Luck!

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
CaptainSwiller
Recipes 

I only boiled them for five minutes or so in purified water. Unfortunately I didn't know about the microfilm bag. The thin film that I am talking about sinks when I move the carboy and eventually floats back to the top. I just took a hydro sample and there were several of these white chunks in it. The sample tasted ok though. I should also mention that I added hop plugs at around the same time. Is it possible that they disintegrated and floated to the top?

I apologize I don't have a photo yet. I'm trying to track down a digital camera.

I also have one more question, is it possible to filter this stuff out before bottling? If it turns out not to be infected, I would like filter out these chunks prior to bottling.

Last edited by CaptainSwiller; 05-25-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply