Wonderful krausen clogging my airlock--frequency during initial fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd4

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a NB Chinook IPA (extract) kit. My OG was a little on the high side for the recipe, about 1.058. After reading much on HBT, I decided to add the 1 lb DME at the beginning of the boil and all of the LME at flameout.

Anyway, for the first time I used a Wyeast 1056 smack pack instead of dry yeast and I am very pleased with my fermentation. In fact, the yeast may be more pleased than I am, as for the first time krausen has made its way into my (three-piece) airlock after about 36 hours of pitching.

As with my previous two batches, I am keeping it in the basement at about 62F ambient temperature and almost pitch black conditions. I am finding, however, that since the initial krausen creep, I have had to change the airlock w/ a clean one every twelve hours or since yesterday night. When will this wonderful madness end?

it's hard to predict, but i bet within the next 36 hrs you won't have to do it any more. alternatively, you could hook up some blow off hose to the airlock so you don't have to worry about it.

you should use a blow off tube stuck in a bottle of santizer there was just a thread on this the other day then when inital fermentation is done use an air lock

You can never predict which brews blow off. I always start off with a blow off tube, just in case.

I have not had a brew blow off in months, but I brewed two batches last weekend, and both had major. blow off. Go figure. Different styles, diffferent yeasts, different temps. I can't predict it.

Back