wlp080 cream ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
Does anybody have any tips on using this yeast. I have heard so many different things and temp adjustments. People lagering for a while and what not. White labs says 65-70. any tips?

Sorry not specifically. For my cream ale I just used wyeast 1056 to make a super clean beer. I'd suggest keep it at the lower temp for a clean flavor.

I have it in my room - AC is set at 60, and it was around 62-64* in the bucket. Active fermentation did not started yet at 6 AM, I pitched around 9 last night.
I'll leave it in there for a few days, then bring it out where it's warmer. After I bottle it, and it carbonates, I'll throw them in the fridge for the lager yeast to do there thing.

White Labs says (WL080),"This is a blend of ale & lager yeast strains. The strain works together to creat a clean,crisp,light American lager style ale. (sounds like their WL029 to me) A pleasing estery aroma may be perceived from the ale yeast contribution. Hops flavors & bitterness are slightly subdued. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation,from the lager yeast". Attenuation,75-80%-Flocculation,medium-Optimum ferment temp,66-70F-Alcohol Tolerance,medium.
If it works anything like their WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast,keeping it in the recommended range will give the stated results. Very lager like after 3-6 weeks at room temp,& at least one week fridge time to fully develope carbonation & flavor.

Mine turned out really nice at that temp. I pitched at 60 and let it warm up to 64 over 3 days of pretty vigorous fermentation. Then It smelled like lager farts. After 5 days, I warmed it up to 68 for about a week to help it clean up. Came out very clean and crisp. I just mowed the lawn, I think I will hit the tap!

Which reminds me,I have to get more of my light & dark hybrids in the fridge. That WL029 does much the same job in the same temp range. Clean & crisp @ ale temps. Coolness.

Another question. I was just wondering if I could have this beer read in five weeks. I was thinking two weeks in the primary and 3 seeks bottle conditioning. Is that to quick for this yeast? I dont have to rush just figured it would be nice to have some for my sons birthday party.

That sounds about right. Although I would suggest putting the bottles in the fridge for a week or two AFTER they carb up. I keg and for me the optimum taste was the 2nd and 3rd weeks of cold storage.

That was my next question. I didn't know if i could carbonate while the bottles were in the fridge because of the lager yeast. Didn't know if this would help me with the time constraints.

Beer in bottles carbonates & conditions at room temps. Fridge time gets the co2 from the head space into solution. 2 weeks being best for thicker head & longer lasting fine bubbled carbonation. 1 week is usually pretty good for a well brewed beer though.

So it looks like to be ready n 5 weeks would be.
2 weeks in primary
2 weeks in bottle
1 week in fridge
or
1 week in bottle
2 week in fridge

I have used WLP 080 for a cream ale. Started at 55 degrees in a swamp cooler. When it warmed up to 60 this baby really took off. I've scored anywhere from 38-42 in competitions with it in my Cream Ales.

What I'm wondering is has anyone fermented this at a warmer temperature. Like I said, I do mine at 60. White Labs website says the Optimum Fermentation Temp is 65-70 but on the vial itself it says to keep at 70-75 and the key to a quick start is a temperature over 70. Has anyone ever fermented with this in the 70-75 range for their primary fermentation?

I did mine at 64 according to my notes. I really like this yeast. But I haven't used it a lot since. Everybody really enjoyed the cream ale alot every time I brew it. It's now dubbed our yearly river beer. I remember talking to a couple of people that did try this yeast around ~68 and said the prefer to ferment it in the low 60s.

Back