Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Witbier advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
yeast will drop out of suspension weither it is in primary or secondary. my typucal wizen is kegged or bottled after 2 weeks. As long as you don't shake up the primary or stick your siphon down into the yeast cake, the amount of yeast will be about the same.
I fully agree with you that a HW does NOT need a secondary, but I will continue my practice until the day I stop making them.

I've been drinking HWs since my first time living in Germany (Feb 1975). I discovered a fondness to HW then.

I like to make my HBd HWs a bit cleaner. If it clears too much I always rack enough yeast to get/keep it cloudy. This is how I maintain control over the amount of yeast in each bottle.

I'd rather have a very small layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle than a 1/4".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I fully agree with you that a HW does NOT need a secondary, but I will continue my practice until the day I stop making them.
That is the beauty of homebrewing. Make it the way you like it!
If you like a cleaner HW, by all means secondary it. I don't secondary many beers anymore, that is partially driven by more patience in primary, laziness, and other things occupying my time.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
dmob29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
1. I say clear candi sugar (home made) screw the stuff they sell at LHBS, over priced and just about pure sucrose. Takes about 20-30 minutes tops.

2. Corriander and Orange peel are, of course, the traditional ingredients, but if you are looking for something unique substitute grains of paradise or sichuan peppercorns for corrinader.
I have been looking into this for the past week and there are a bunch of threads here about sugar. I am doing a Grand Cru this weekend and it calls for 2lbs of candi sugar. After reading half a dozen of threads on this, I am just going to add 2lbs of white, granulated sugar to my boil with about 15-20 left. This was the best thread I found... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/addi...n-cider-90498/

Grains of paradise subbed for the coriander... I will try that too!!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
That is the beauty of homebrewing. Make it the way you like it!
If you like a cleaner HW, by all means secondary it. I don't secondary many beers anymore, that is partially driven by more patience in primary, laziness, and other things occupying my time.
I know where you're coming from so there's really no debate going on...

I can also see not doing a secondary if you do not move your kegs after filling and tap in place. I'm certain many of the brewers here do that. This way any sediment is not roused to make the brew cloudy again.

In my case my keezer is in the garage and my kegerator is in the basement. If I did not secondary my keezer kegs would be cloudy again by time I carried them to the basement and slid them into place in the kegerator. It would be a waste of time (on my part) if I didn't secondary.

As for bottles I also swirl them with about 1" of beer left to top off the glass.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmob29 View Post
I have been looking into this for the past week and there are a bunch of threads here about sugar. I am doing a Grand Cru this weekend and it calls for 2lbs of candi sugar. After reading half a dozen of threads on this, I am just going to add 2lbs of white, granulated sugar to my boil with about 15-20 left. This was the best thread I found... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/addi...n-cider-90498/

Grains of paradise subbed for the coriander... I will try that too!!

Buy a cheapo candy thermo at Wally world and buy some citric acid at the health food store, you can make your own invert sugar. My LHBS sells their "Belgian" candy sugar for 7.99/lb what a friggin rip-off. I have since been making my own. I can make 2lbs for the cost of sugar itself. Plus I like to use turbinado or "organic" sugar to make candi sugar, sure it isn't clear, but it doesn't add that much color to the finished beer. I also sleep better knowing that the LHBS isn't bending me over for some sugar.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply