Winging it...name suggestions? thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmesa369

Reaction score
My first brew was pale ale with a mr beer kit in early January to have beer for the sb and ive been reading the boards since. Bought my hops before i had my kit and didn't know much at the time and blindly selected Willamette at which i use in everything. Three month later ive made a total of 7.5 batches and have layered the all but the last two. Pale Ale, Pale Malta, Oatmeal Wheaties, Single Amber and Double Amber. Final two are citrus malts/ hard-ades Lemon and Tangy Orange. This is my first post so i might leave out a few things but ill try my best. There are not any type of gravity measurements because did not do any hence "Winging it". Heres a brief description of what ive done for each. suggestions? pro/cons? thumbs up thumbs down?

Pale Ale:
made using mr beer kit
ingredients:
2.5 gallons 1 can pale ale lme ~2.5oz 4% 1 orange 1 pear ~8oz brown sugar and included booster pkg
spices:
nutmeg allspice Cinnamon

boiled hops and spices 30 min lme/booter@15min pear@5
no strain:drunk: into fermenter rinsed orange quartered squeezed and threw rinds in. 2 Weeks bottled 4/qts 2.5teaspoons cane sugar each. Had 2 a week later for the sb the other two i drank 2 weeks+ and they were considerably better.

Pale Malta
ingredients:
1 part 2 week fermented Pale Ale(leftovers from last batch^^^) and 1 part Malta Goya

Half and half into bottle no priming sugars. idea was the sugars in the malta was enough for priming. Only did 2qts because it was an experiment turned out great. Less malt next time.

Oatmeal Wheaties:
ingredients:
Last of my 2 week fermented Pale ale wort(1 gallon). 72oz of Malta Goya ~10oz cane sugar ~4oz blueberry syrup. ~1lb Wheat Flour:cross: ~1lb instant oatmeal. COOPERS SINGLE STRAIN DRY ALE YEAST No extra spices hops the gallon of the pale ale had enough.

Steeped oatmeal and wheat flour ~165 no higher around an hour just around a gallon of liquid added sugar and syrup. Not much conversion as i am a novice but i wanted have an idea about the whole sparging process. Cooled and combined will leftovers and malta(2.5 gallons). 2 week ferment bottled 4 qts had 1.5 gallons left. Primed 2.5 teaspoons sat for 3 weeks. Best one yet.

Single Amber
Ingredients:
1.5gallon 2 week fermented Oatmeal Wheaties ~1lb amber dme 1.25oz hops@4% COOPERS SINGLE STRAIN DRY ALE YEAST

boiled hops ~60 mins .8oz .3oz@25 from start .3@35from start dme@45 mins from start ~1gl of water. cooled added to leftovers fermented 2 weeks. Bottled 6 qts had 1 gallon left. Sat 2 weeks and it makes a great regular drinker

Double Amber
ingredients
1gl Single Amber leftovers ~2lb amber dme ~2.5oz hops@4% Fermentis Safbrew S-33
spices:
star anise cinimon nutmeg clove sticks

boiled hops .75oz 60 mins dme@ 45 cooled in primary with Single Amber leftovers fora week gallons total. boiled 1.75oz hops and 2 quartered oranges. Cooled and into secondary with 2 gallons from primary and 1 gallon extra water ~3gl total. Sat for 2 weeks bottled and will sit for 3 more weeks. I have a few that will sit till football season. What was left in the primary i let settle for 2 weeks bottled 3 12oz and primed with tang(this liquid did not have the spice and orange thus the tang). Opened one of the 12oz last night and may i say dont drink them fast or too much

Currently Fermenting

Hard Lemonade/ Tangy Orange 4gallons each
ingredients
concentrated lemon juice 3lb sugar/ 20qts worth or tang 2 lb sugar both champagne yeast

pretty basic the orange took off lemon took a week but it went 1.5 weeks in as of now. ill keep ya posted

Hydrometers are cheap,its nice to know you OG and FG.But without it you will still make beer unless the yeast are dead or fried.Its nice to know if it hit a good final gravity when you bottle it.Although its more of checking and calculating my abv,really because if im past 2 wks. usually 3 sometimes 4 i bottle when im ready only checking before i bottle.Its recommended to check it 2-3 days later to see if it drops though,to be shure its finished.Time is good enough for me.
You can still figure out an aproximate abv plugging your recipe in a brew calc.without using a hydrometer but wont be accurate,just close.
Sounds like a good start.

thanx ill eventually get one so i can write prercise reciepes for now im just brewing for hobby to have fun with friends and family. as far as abv i got a chart that i use for a guesstimation roughly ~2.3% abv for lb of extract ~1% for 200g of sugar in disolved in 2-2.5gal. i just simple have 3 categories which consist of a 22oz and a shot of Hennessy. Cat 1 Im good to drive. Cat 2 Ill be ok in a while to drive. Cat 3 Hide the keys no ones driving tonight. thats how i measure

Back