The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will this work for Graff?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
AdirondackPeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will this work for Graff?

Hi all. First of all thank you for reading. Second of all thank you all for making these forums one of my primary sources for brewing knowledge. I'm hopelessly addicted now. So anyway...

I get what Graff is and the process of making it. My question is...if I toast oatmeal grains and use them in a partial mash...will the oatmeal alone give me additional flavor in the Graff or do I need other grains to do that? It is my understanding that Oatmeal adds to mouth feel primarily and not so much to flavor. It is also my understanding that toasting oatmeal at 300 ° F till they are browned will give off other flavors. Suggestions? Also is a clean fermenting Ale yeast best for Graff? Thanks all!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Toasting oats will definitely add to their flavor contribution in the brew. Oats are subtle for sure, and toasted oats are still subtle but that may be exactly what you're after in a Graff. I've never tried making Graff, nor have I ever drank one that I'm aware of, but it sounds interesting and delicious - but I find that I like most fermented beverages. I would venture a guess that a clean ale yeast is the best way to go, let the apple do most of the talking (US-05 maybe).

Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

st.pug is spot on. toasting oats caramelizes the sugars in the oat, which will give you a much different and more pronounced flavor than raw oats. I think this is an awesome idea. Let us know how it turns out!

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
AdirondackPeter
Recipes 

Thanks!! That was very helpful and helped my brewing confidence for sure. I will post recipe and brew this week. Mwahahaha. Ha.

Quick Reply