Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will warming chilled beer to 70 degrees make it "skunked"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
fanch75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will warming chilled beer to 70 degrees make it "skunked"?

If I move chilled beer (fridge temperature) out of the fridge to warm to room temperature - willl it give the beer a "skunky" taste/smell? I've always heard that the skunking is due to UV exposure, not temperature.

About 2 months ago I brewed a batch of Munton's Premium Pilsner. Everything went great, it smelled terrific at bottling, and was extremely clear. I bottled it (primed with 3/4 cup of cane sugar) with no issues and put the batch in the basement to carbonate, right at about 60 degrees, maybe even cooler.

After two months, the batch has not carbonated very well. Its carbonation level now is the same as it was two weeks after bottling. It has a small hiss at opening, and the head is barely existent. It tastes flat. So I am trying moving the beer in the basement upstairs (where it is 70 degrees) and the beer that is in the fridge inside (where it is, again, 70 degrees). Hope it works.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

that's the best way to try to up the carb level. no danger of skunking

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 12-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
fanch75
Recipes 

So it is true - it's not warming beer that makes it skunked - it's UV, even with homebrew.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 16

You should spend $10 for a digital gram scale. Measuring a granular substance like table sugar volumetrically introduces a significant margin of error depending on the size of the sugar crystals and how densely they are packed. That will give you greater control over carbonation levels.

And like others have said, you only get skunking with UV exposure.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Quick Reply