Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will the trub affect my gravity reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Brewer_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Will the trub affect my gravity reading?

I brewed my first batch of beer yesterday and today the airlock is already bubbling. So far so good. I have decided to take the suggestion of some folks here and not bother with a secondary, just do the whole process in the primary.

Later when I use my thief to take a sample for my specific gravity reading, will the contents of the trub contaminate the reading or does it not have an effect? Or is there a technique to taking the sample that avoids that problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

As long as you aren't sucking up from the bottom of the fermenter you shouldn't have any trub in your hydro sample.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys. I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

And

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With the disclaimer that I Am Not A Chemist:

Molecules in solution will affect gravity. Particles in suspension will not.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wish I could go swimming in my fermenter. Seriously. I think it would be cool...even though I probably wouldn't float well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Quick Reply