The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will tannin astringency lessen with time/bottle conditioning??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Pisty_Pete
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will tannin astringency lessen with time/bottle conditioning??

Hi All,

I just bottled my first partial mash and was shocked and dismayed (very nearly squeezed out a few man tears even) to discover an astringent off flavor pervading. Seems pretty certain tannins are the culprit. My question is, is there any way this batch can be salvaged? Will the astringency lessen with time in the bottle?

Many thanks!
p

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I don't know about tannin astringency, but I have had a couple beers that have tasted very astringent after about 3 - 4 weeks in the keg, but which have been fine 3 or 4 weeks later. By this, I don't mean mellowed, I mean that the astringency had completely gone. In both cases, I was using Wyeast 1028 I think.

-a.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Pisty_Pete
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Describe the astringency. How much water did you sparge with? What temperature was the water?

I'd describe tannin astringency as more of a feel than a taste. Take a tea bag and boil it for 5 minutes in about a cup of water. Thats what tannin astringency feels like. It dries out your toungue and the roof of your mouth, especially on the sides.

If it is tannins, I guess it could mellow. I've never had the problem.
Thanks for the responses.

It's definitely got the tea bag effect. I used this stovetop technique:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

So, I guess my sparge temp was 175* (which cooled down to ~170* after addition of the grain bag).

Last edited by Pisty_Pete; 03-30-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

conditioning can fix a lot of things. You'd be surprised.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

See if this thread helps any.

FWIW, I tried gelatin on my tannin-beer but have not tasted it since doing so. I ordered some Polyclar and will try that when I get it.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply