Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will be moving to secodnary soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
cvav8or
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will be moving to secodnary soon

Quick update for anyone who cares. I brewed on Saturday the 17th and the SG was 1.038-1.040. Now on tuesday it is 1.024 and if it remains the same for another two days I will move to my secondary. I drank the sample after I took the reading and it actually tasted like beer and had a beautiful brown color, I am so stoked and can't wait to drink my first brew.

cvav8or

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

What is the recipe? I'm a total beginner as well, but based on what I have read around here, it seems like you should be targeting a final gravity of around 1.010. Assuming no additional fermentation takes place, it seems like you got pretty low attenuation.

But again, total beginner here... I hope I'm wrong.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I second what BB said. You shouldn't rack until your gravity is 1.010. Racking this soon does not benefit the brew in any way. It's actually just a waste of time until the gravity has dropped.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
teu1003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are not near finishing this ferment. You want to be close to 25% of OG, that is, about 1.010 on a 1.040 beer. At 24, your beer will be cloyingly sweet and not very alcoholic (about 2.1% abv)

Be patient, your yeast has work to do. Three days is kinda quick to even go near the room where your beer is.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #5
cvav8or
Recipes 

Default I was a bit premature

It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or

Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM   #6
Boston Brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvav8or

cvav8or
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9-4.html - call it roughly 3.5%?

If you haven't looked at this site, it is a great resource...

Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
HBRunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

cvav8or

My rogue Kit from AHS is being delivered today....just a basic extract kit, and it will be my 2nd brew.....I don't think it will be too much to handle for new guys like us.....

I say go for it!!! Mine will be brewed Sat or Sun....

And I may crack open my first wheat beer also....

RDWHAHB

Chad

Chad

Primary: Rogue Dead Guy clone, Sweetwater 420 clone
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: I don't bottle
Next up: IPA and something, and american ale maybe

Kegged:Chocolate Oatmeal Stoute

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
MikeyB
Recipes 

I brewed on Saturday the 17th and I'm not even going to bother taking a gravity reading until at least Sunday the 25th. In my (limited) experience, the bubbling is not a good indicator of finished fermentation.

Bottled: Oldcastle Brown Ale

Old 11-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

cvav8or
My Dead Guy clone (in the pull-down recipe link under my avatar) is easy and you could do it. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I can walk you through it if something is unclear.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
teu1003
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. [/QUOTE]

Please dont take a gravity reading on day 5 of your brew. Yeast and patience are your friends.

Yeast has other things to do than just get your beer from OG to FG.

I know you are in a hurry. Don't be. Relax and wait at least to the middle of next week. Do some shopping this weekend and wrap some of the gifts you buy. Get your Christmas decorations out. Get your oil changed. Anything! Leave your beer alone for a while.

Quick Reply