The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will green apple taste go away in fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
sdufford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will green apple taste go away in fridge?

Hi all, I kegged a low-gravity blonde ale last night, about 5 weeks from brew day. It still had a bit of a green apple taste- will this go away with cold conditioning, or should I leave it out of the fridge for longer to keep the yeast active?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There's no such thing as "cold conditioning" with ales. The ale yeast goes dormant in the low 50's. Do you do any work while you're asleep?

If you want them to condition get them back above 70. After a couple days you might even want to give the beer a swirl to re-suspend the yeast and get it cleaning again.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
mappler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first beer had this flavor, but it was brewed with a lager yeast. The flavor did clear up after a couple of weeks in the fridge. For an ale yeast, I would follow Revvy's advice.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 592

What yeast did you use?

I get this almost everytime when I use Notty for my IIPA...pretty strong when I empty the primary but I have never tasted it in the finished product...then again I bottle.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Kegged a Wheat Lager 2 days ago. At kegging it had a distinct apple fruit flavor. Even my wife commented. Had a small glass last night and it seems to have disappeared. Not sure the cause.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
Kegged a Wheat Lager 2 days ago. At kegging it had a distinct apple fruit flavor. Even my wife commented. Had a small glass last night and it seems to have disappeared. Not sure the cause.
It's acetaldehyde which is a byproduct of fermentation. The yeast will clean it up if given the time. This is why my beer stays in primary for 3+ weeks. It gives the yeast time clean up after themselves.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

The lager was fermented at 50 for 4 weeks and had a D-rest at 65-70 for a few days, then back into the lagering fridge at 34 for over 2 weeks.

I wasn't really surprised by the flavor, just surprised that it went away after 1 day... Supposedly the lagering should have kept it at bay, but perhaps the rise to serving temp is what did it.

Quick Reply