New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will beer be any good 1 week post bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
Hockeyhunter99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Revvy is back!!!!!

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #22
Ralelen
Recipes 

Dude drink one if you want, its your beer. I usually bottle 3 Grolsch bottles per batch so I can taste one weekly. Its not like you're going to drink the whole batch after the first week.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #23
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To drink or not too drink, man what can you say. Everybody here has a good point. I look at it this way, I like beer and I like the beer I make. I know that if I taste it early it will not be complete and as long as I know that I am still drinking good beer, it is just "green" good beer.

Patience is one of the hardest things to learn about homebrewing in my opinion so take heed to Revvy's post and if not, drink up and enjoy!!

Side note: glad you are back Revvy, this site is not the same without your golden nuggets of brewing wisdom!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #24
Hockeyhunter99

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Side note: glad you are back Revvy, this site is not the same without your golden nuggets of brewing wisdom!
What is with people and revvy's junk??

two weeks ago it was his "dip tube" and now "golden nuggets"

Hey Revvy, you must be something with the ladies if the guys are talking!!!!

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #25
dutchman22
Recipes 

Default 1 week bottling

I just tried my brown ale and was disappointed
. It seems the beer has developed an astringent aftertaste. I've been studying to death to figure this out. It seems mash ph could be the issue, inefficiency with the runoff, oversparging, bugs, green beer. It's a bit frustrating really, because the taste when botteling was good, it was a bit light / watery but it was good. I added corn sugar and 8oz of maltodextin at bottling. 5 gallon batch, all grain, sparge method, brown ale. 1968 london yeast, ferment temp 65, primary for 14 days, been in the bottle for a week.

any thoughts? i do notice that my sparge / runoff is relatively quick, it's done in about 10 minutes, and as a result my efficiency is about 57%. I've read elsewhere that it should take an hour, but i'm not sure how i would get mine to go that slow unless i barely opened ball valve on the mash tun.

You boys have any thoughts as to why my sparge is so quick? and perhaps what's contributing to my aftertaste? does green beer sometimes have a "strong aspirin" type aftertaste? beer looks great, smells good , has excellent head retention and tastes good in my mouth, it's just when i swallow it.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #26
helibrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman22
. It seems the beer has developed an astringent aftertaste. I've been studying to death to figure this out. It seems mash ph could be the issue, inefficiency with the runoff, oversparging, bugs, green beer. It's a bit frustrating really, because the taste when botteling was good, it was a bit light / watery but it was good. I added corn sugar and 8oz of maltodextin at bottling. 5 gallon batch, all grain, sparge method, brown ale. 1968 london yeast, ferment temp 65, primary for 14 days, been in the bottle for a week.

any thoughts? i do notice that my sparge / runoff is relatively quick, it's done in about 10 minutes, and as a result my efficiency is about 57%. I've read elsewhere that it should take an hour, but i'm not sure how i would get mine to go that slow unless i barely opened ball valve on the mash tun.

You boys have any thoughts as to why my sparge is so quick? and perhaps what's contributing to my aftertaste? does green beer sometimes have a "strong aspirin" type aftertaste? beer looks great, smells good , has excellent head retention and tastes good in my mouth, it's just when i swallow it.
If you're fly sparging 10 minutes is too fast, just barely crack the ball valve if that's what it takes.
What water are you using and did you treat it with anything?
Why the maltodextrin at bottling?
How hot is your srarge water?
Are stopping your sparge at a certain gravity or when you reach your pre-boil volume?

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman22 View Post

Its still young,that is probably just it really. As talked about much,earlier in this thread,it will be a different beer in a few more weeks or more. If it tasted good at bottleing it shouldnt be bad after carbonation/conditioning generally although I think its hard to compare the finished hydro sample to the finished carbonated/conditoned end result. It just needs some time. However with age and you are still having issues then that is something to troubleshoot. John Palmer-How to brew (book/online) has good descriptions of common off tastes/flavors. Just let em sit for a while and see what happens with time.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
joetothemo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchman22 View Post

10 min runoff is way the hell too fast for either fly sparge or batch sparge. Slow your roll. Lauter more thoroughly. Run a nice clean wort after vorlauf. You are probably extracting tannins from your husky debris from running off so quickly.

In Primary:
Amarillo Pale Ale
A Stout I brewed for a guy as a lesson

In Bottles:
Jamil's Belgian Tripel
Centennial Pale Ale

On Draft:
Imperial Red Ale

Quick Reply