New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will astringency go away with time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
NorCalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Will astringency go away with time?

My third batch of beer is undrinkable. I think the taste is better described as astringent rather than bitter. And I think the cause may be that I squeezed the grain steeping bag to save time (do not to that on two previous batches of acceptable beer).

Questions:
- If that's it, will the astringency mellow with age in the bottle?
- I live in a hot climate. Could this be caused by fermenting in a closet that is frequently more than 80 degrees?
- I don't think I had a sanitation problem, but if I did would I be getting this kind of taste? Or something else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalEd View Post
And I think the cause may be that I squeezed the grain steeping bag
I'm sure this is not your issue. I, and many others, have squeezed many a grain bag and made delicious beer.

Quote:
If that's it, will the astringency mellow with age in the bottle?
There's really no way to tell except trying. I imagine it will improve with age, but it may never get good.

Quote:
Could this be caused by fermenting in a closet that is frequently more than 80 degrees?
This will cause all manner of off flavors. This is most likely your culprit. You don't really want to ferment in an ambient space above 65F or so, to keep the temperature of the fermenting beer (which creates its own heat) below 70F. Some yeasts even get nasty in the high 60s.

Quote:
don't think I had a sanitation problem, but if I did would I be getting this kind of taste? Or something else.
I agree that sanitation is probably not your issue, unless you could describe the flavor as sour. Most infections are taste noticeably "spoiled".

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Not shure if astringency is the word you mean,but what yeast did you use and yeah usually 80 is too high when actuall fermentation can generate 5-10 deg more during fermentation. Ageing could improve it but may take some time and may never reallly mellow enough. As far as astringency I would think your water could have something to do with that. Do you mean estery and fruity? Squeezing the bag is not a problem unless your water ph is waaay off.
Harshness usually improves with age. Ive had one harsh brew which i considered astringent, and i think it was from using whole torrefied pastry wheat berries. That completly mellowed out. And turned into a well liked beer.
Almost sounds like a mineral problem with your water. Too much of the right minerals can effect your brew.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I doubt squeezing the grain bag is the issue. As noted by others, fermenting in an ambient air temp of 80F isn't going to lead to a good tasting beer.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

I agree with KISS Brew! It's almost a guarantee to be your fermentation temp. The off flavors that come from that usually don't go away. It might mellow a little, but you're likely stuck with it..

Old 08-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Temp is for sure a problem. If you were at 80 then the wort was more like 85 or greater. A wet towel and fan will lower the temps 5 to 8 degrees.

Squeezing the bag is a big big mo no and would lead to so nasty tannins. Be gentle but not anal.

And no sadly if it's REAL bad it won't go away.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post

Squeezing the bag is a big big mo no and would lead to so nasty tannins. Be gentle but not anal..
These days most people that do BIAB have concluded that this just isn't true. I've sqeezed my BIAB bag between two boards with clamps, and made some really tasty brews this way. You can squeeze the grain bag all you want. It won't extract tannins unless the pH is out of range...

Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

green apple atstringency may lessen or go away during conditioning.

can't hurt to wait.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #9
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
green apple atstringency may lessen or go away during conditioning.

can't hurt to wait.
I wouldn't describe green apple as astringent. Green apple usually refers to "green" beer in general.

I do agree that the OP should wait it out, but IME most astringent flavors associated with malt in-balance, high ferm temps, or tannins doesn't go away.

Only time can tell...

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I wouldn't describe green apple as astringent. Green apple usually refers to "green" beer in general.

I do agree that the OP should wait it out, but IME most astringent flavors associated with malt in-balance, high ferm temps, or tannins doesn't go away.

Only time can tell...
*shrug* I had a belgian strong golden that was a little underpitched that had a flavor similar to chewing on apple peels until it had aged longer than a few weeks.

Quick Reply