*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wild Yeast Curiosity/Concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Wild Yeast Curiosity/Concerns

Probably not something I'll plan until next summer at the earliest. I was intrigued by capturing local wild yeast to brew beer, and wanted to see what I could come up with in my area.

From what I understood, the production of alcohol during the fermentation process creates an environment that's not hospitable to pathogens.

...Just a double-check for general health and safety...is that accurate? Even if I brew the foulest, sourest of lambics, no one's gonna get food poisioning, yeast AIDS, beer tumors, etc etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

no.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
no.
Good...next year we're going to see what northwestern Wisconsin and St. Paul have to offer.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Try collecting it before summer though. Bacteria tends to be more prominent in warmer temperatures, so if you can grab something at around 40 degrees or so that's supposed to be preferable. I had a good one going last fall that was smelling really nice until the plumber was doing stuff in the basement while I was gone and knocked it off of a shelf. I was really sad.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowtones84 View Post
Try collecting it before summer though. Bacteria tends to be more prominent in warmer temperatures, so if you can grab something at around 40 degrees or so that's supposed to be preferable. I had a good one going last fall that was smelling really nice until the plumber was doing stuff in the basement while I was gone and knocked it off of a shelf. I was really sad.
+1 Spring and Fall are supposed to be the best time to try this sort of thing.

Check out the Lambic & Wild Brewing section - you'll find a number of posts there about collecting and brewing with wild yeast. If you're interested, I also have a few blog posts about my experience with doing this - http://www.brewbybrew.com/search/label/Wild%20Yeast

Quick Reply