Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wifey's Suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
whiskey_pickle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wifey's Suggestion

Not really a beginner's question, but I am trying to get the wife more into brewing and let her "pick" some ingredients to make her maiden voyage into the Land'O Wort. If anyone has a recipe remotely close to this list, you should be tarred and feathered Anyhow here is the ingredient list and I am hoping to get some input.

Extract Recipe

Munich LME

Cinnamon Sticks
Mugwort
Orange Peel
Rose Hips

Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden Fruit)

Galena Hops
US Goldings

Any ideas or suggestions?

I am at a loss and it is looking more and more like some kind of psychedelic Belgian witch's brew to me.

Mucho Thanko's

If you plant ice you're gonna harvest the wind.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It's generally better to use a light lme or dme and then use steeping grain. I'd also try making a tea first with those "other" ingredients to get the quantities right.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
whiskey_pickle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jon..... I tried that route already and got the infamous.."who is picking the beer...., you wanted me to pick a recipe....blah...blah...blah" ..... I appreciate the quick reply and agree.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I say just go for it and see how it comes out.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Strangebird
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While this certainly sounds like a Frankenbeer, why not make it? It could surprise you and be good. Just don't tell her, "I told you so" if it tastes like a**! You also might want to try a 2.5 gallon batch just to test it.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the mugwort. That's pretty potent stuff. It was used as a hop substitute (mainly in gruit) so you may end up with an overly bitter beer if you use that and also use normal hopping levels.

Not to be a worry-wort, but just a FYI if you didn't know, pregnant women should not consume mugwort. It can cause miscarriages. Not that pregnant women should be drinking, but it would suck pretty bad if you gave one of her lady brews to a girlfriend of hers who didn't know she was pregnant yet (that happens all the time) and caused a lot more harm than a little bit of beer.

I have brewed with rose hips, orange and cinnamon sticks (not together in one brew, separately) and think all of those things could be used in combination and may come up with a fairly tasty beer depending on hopping levels (low to allow for the spices to come through).

Cheers to getting the wife into brewing - my husband and I participate jointly in the hobby and it's been a great source of fun for us both.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
whiskey_pickle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Much thanks for the reply's and I think she should know about the "mugwort" since we are in the process of trying.... I am not "keen" enough to know how much LME or DME to use and what to use as a "specialty crush" for the initial boil. Thanks again

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Make sure you use "bitter orange peel" and not just some chunks of Sunkist orange peel off of a supermarket orange.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
It's generally better to use a light lme or dme and then use steeping grain. I'd also try making a tea first with those "other" ingredients to get the quantities right.
Munich isn't a steeping grain. According to Briess, all it contains is Munich malt and base malt, so there is no other way to replicate this without a partial mash/all grain setup.

Also, I think this recipe could be anything from amazing to terrible, and it's all going to come down to whether you can balance the spices with each other and not overpower the beer with them.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Egghead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's how I'd do it. It's just a first attempt, and I'd view it as an experiment, but this is how I'd start out my first attempt.

6 lbs Munich LME
1/4 oz galena @ 60 minutes
1 oz us goldings @ 10 minutes
small amount of mugwort @10 minutes - (I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'd filter out or otherwise remove the mugwort when transferring the wort to the fermenter.)
2 cinnamon sticks @ 10 minutes - remove when transferring wort to fermenter

primary - ferment as usual with 3463
secondary - put orange peel and rose hips in a giant tea-bag made from a coffee filter or similar, and rack the beer onto it. Let sit for 2 weeks.

Bottle or keg as usual.

Quick Reply