Wife's IRA Reciepe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancericson11

Reaction score
I am a noobie. First post, but have been reading for while, thank you for all the previous advice, but please do not go easy, I learned how to throw a ball, swim, and play H2O polo by a coach yelling at me, seems to be my learning style. All comments are appreciated. I am going to use a two step early/late extract method. DME will be added early to obtain OG: ~1.030 and the LME late (@45 min mark) to being OG up to ~1.070. Looking for a India Red Ale for my wife. % Alpha is from current stock at LHBS

Here is my reciepe:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Time: 60 min
OG gravity: Early ~1.030/ late ~1.070
FG gravity: ~1.018
Steep Specialty Grains @ 160 F for 30 min (according to Palmer)
Yeast: American Ale 1056
Attenuation: 75%
IBU:~70-78
Color: ~19-21

Extract/Steeping Grains
Golden LME: 6lbs
Light DME: 3lbs
Crystal 60: 1lbs
Roasted Barley 500: 4oz

Hop Schedule (60 min boil)
OG: ~1.030
Willamette (6.5%) 1 oz 45 min
Warrior (18.2%) 1 oz 5 min
OG: ~1.070
Willamette (6.5%) 1.0 oz 15 min *note this carrying over not new addition
Warrior (18.2%) 1.0 oz 15 min *note this carrying over not new addition
Cascade (7.7%) 0.5 oz 15 min
Willamette (6.5%) 1.0 oz 15 min
Mt. Hood (7.1%) 1.0 oz 10 min
Cascade (7.7%) 0.5 oz 5 min

Dry Hop
Cascade (7.7%) for 8 days

Thank you

Just a note on the adding of extract- "times" are to the end of the boil, so I assume you meant add the DME at the beginning, and the LME with 15 minutes left (not 45) but I thought I'd mention that for clarity for everyone.

I like willamette in reds, but it's very hard to figure out your hop schedule with the notation.

Maybe, try using the traditional:
Willamete 1 oz 60 minutes
warrior .25 oz 5 minutes
Etc, or whatever your schedule is. Remember, the time on the recipe is the time that the hop is boiled, not when it's added. If it goes in 5 minutes before flame out, it's boiled for 5 minutes, so it's a 5 minute addition.

Warrior isn't a great tasting late hop, so I'd suggest using it for bittering at 60 minutes, and then using the willamette, cascade, and mt hood at 15/5/0 minutes for flavor and aroma. Willamette and cascade is a particularly good combination.

Adding the extract doesn't impact the hops utilization at all, but it does stop the boil so you may find that adding it at flame out is easier because it will stop the boil when you add it and then you'll have to wait for it to boil again.

Yooper Thank you. Yes the Extract is added with 15 minutes left, to bring the OG up to 1.070. I thought that the OG effected hop utilization? Learn something new each time I talk with some one.

DME 60 min
LME Flame out

New Hop Schedule (60 min boil)
Warrior (18.2%) 0.5 oz 60 min
Cascade (7.7%) 0.5 oz 15 min
Willamette (6.5%) 1.0 oz 15 min

Dry Hop
Cascade (7.7%) for 8 days

Add some more hops after using BYO calculator

DME 60 min
LME Flame out

New Hop Schedule (60 min boil)
Warrior (18.2%) 0.5 oz 60 min
Willamette (6.5%) 1.0 oz 30 min
Cascade (7.7)% 1.0 oz 15 min
Willamette (6.5%) 1.0 oz 5 min

Dry Hop
Cascade (7.7%) 1.5 oz for 8 days

How do you calculate hop utilization if you don't use the equation in Palmer?

Generally I use brewing software to guestimate it, but without actually testing the beer in a lab, it's all just a guess. Brewing software is the best we have at this time, but if you get accustomed to how "40 IBUs" in your system tastes to you (even if it would test at more or less), then you can adjust accordingly.

We just had a conversation about this in another thread today, so I won't rehash it here, but I suggest finding a podcast from around 2010(?) with John Palmer on Basic Brewing Radio (great weekly by the way!) called "What is an IBU, really?" and that will be enlightening.

Back