Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wife likes my green apple beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
evilhomer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wife likes my green apple beer

Sampled my first homebrew a little early. It's about 5 days short of being bottled for 3 weeks. I wanted to check one and make sure it carbonated correctly before I bottled my 2nd batch. Cap came off with a pssst and it poured a nice head so apparently I bottled it right.

Didn't care for the taste too much, a little green apple flavor to it. For my first try I did a very basic amber dme batch, nothing else other then hops and some irish moss.

So I asked my wife what she thought without telling her I didn't like it. She thought it was great and I let her drink the rest. She also said it was strong and gave her a good buzz. My wife is a lightweight but the gravity readings say its only a 4.7%.

I did a 3 week primary only at 68° with 2 days in my 50° garage before bottling.

I've read the apple flavor could go away with time. Here's some things I've since learned I did wrong, could these have contributed?

First 30 minutes of wort boil I had the lid on.

I'm an experienced home baker so I pitched the yeast while the wort was a little warm for beer, possibly as high as 90°. Airlock was bubbling away within 4 hours with the US-05.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Give it time. Green apple is almost always green beer (or infection), but if it wasn't a yucky, cidery mess, it'll clean up with time.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 AM   #3
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

From Palmer: http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Acetaldehyde. Not an infection unless it starts getting much much worse over time. It'll mellow out and probably disappear completely before long.

Quote:
... generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:29 AM   #4
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like Acetaldehyde.

Quick Reply