Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why is it when I listen to Jamil and John, they seem to say...
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
lurker18
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lurker18's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 607
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

From the times I have listened to JZ and John, comparing MOST home brewers to them is like comparing a brew pub to BMC, not in the quality, but in the equipment and experiance they have. JZ is working off a very good ystem that many of us dream about and will never have, and he has brewed hundred or thousands of batches on the system. He has this dialed in. Also, it comes up that he is quite anal about doing things, and this is not a bad thing. Everything is always done top notch, from yeast pitching, temperature controll, sanitization, etc., and if there is a fault it goes down the drain. I think if we all had the skill and experiance, and the system that those guys work with, we all could cut a few days off our brewing schedule.

__________________
lurker18 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #22
babalu87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Middleborough, MA
Posts: 1,914
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
As you listen to Jamil's shows more, you'll find he doesn't do competitions anymore
Did you see h ow many entires he had in last years NHC?
__________________
babalu87 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #23
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post

1) Having the proper amount of properly prepared yeast.
2) Maintaining precise temperature control over the fermentation.
3) Cold crashing (really cold and for awhile)
Bingo. Every pub is serving beer younger than 28 days, usually 21 days. You guys can all call up Vinny and tell him how much better his beer would be if he brewed like you. When he gets done laughing he might calmly explain that your process sucks if your beers don't taste clean a few weeks after brewing.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
From the times I have listened to JZ and John, comparing MOST home brewers to them is like comparing a brew pub to BMC, not in the quality, but in the equipment and experiance they have. JZ is working off a very good ystem that many of us dream about and will never have, and he has brewed hundred or thousands of batches on the system. He has this dialed in. Also, it comes up that he is quite anal about doing things, and this is not a bad thing. Everything is always done top notch, from yeast pitching, temperature controll, sanitization, etc., and if there is a fault it goes down the drain. I think if we all had the skill and experiance, and the system that those guys work with, we all could cut a few days off our brewing schedule.
Unless you think something is happening on the hot side that makes Jamil's beers ready faster than yours, I'm not sure you can blame his B3 sculpture.

Jamil ferments in carboys in a fridge. There isn't much of a barrier preventing any of us from acquiring his fermentation technology.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #25
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 3,655
Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
Did you see h ow many entires he had in last years NHC?
He said on air he wasn't entering this year.
__________________
remilard is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #26
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Bingo. Every pub is serving beer younger than 28 days, usually 21 days. You guys can all call up Vinny and tell him how much better his beer would be if he brewed like you. When he gets done laughing he might calmly explain that your process sucks if your beers don't taste clean a few weeks after brewing.
Poor example. The bottle of Supplication I had last night was 16 months old (and fantastic.)
__________________
jkarp is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
tamoore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grayling, MI
Posts: 299
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Do you think Jamil is entering 10 day old beer in competitions?


I don't.
I don't know, but I know my local breweries are making great beers in two weeks. It's a confusing topic for sure, and I'm new - . As I progress, I'm sure I'll be waiting longer and longer between batches....

Thanks for the input!
__________________
tamoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoore View Post
I don't know, but I know my local breweries are making great beers in two weeks.
And your local breweries can probably control mash and fermentation temperatures to 1/10 of a degree. They also pitch MUCH more yeast than most of us, and aerate much better.
__________________
Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #29
tamoore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Grayling, MI
Posts: 299
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
And your local breweries can probably control mash and fermentation temperatures to 1/10 of a degree. They also pitch MUCH more yeast than most of us, and aerate much better.
Probably. I'm just tryin' to figure it all out.

Having said that, let me ask:

What about extra time in the 'bucket' heals non optimal mash and fermentation temps, under pitched yeast, or incomplete aeration?

Does it all come down to extra working time for the die-hard yeast that make it to the end?
__________________
tamoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #30
seabrew8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 104
Default

I'm drinking my first Irish Ale right now and i'm very happy with how it tastes. This style of beer got me interested in homebrewing a few mths ago at a brewpub in Newfoundland. I love Yellowbelly's Fighting Irish. I did however brew a few hundred brewkits when i was a teenager for money reasons.

Anyhow this was my disastrous process.

- 10 days in primary
- Racked to corny keg and cooled for 12 hours or so at 5C.
- Tried the shake method using 30PSI and tried to dispense the beer but due to hops plugged up pickup tube. Cleaned tube and tried again. Plugged again.
- Next day racked to carboy, cleaned pickup tube and racked the beer again in the keg. Where it sits right now.

The beer i'm drinking is from the little bit i purposely left in the carboy and i like it very much and it actually has a head.

Lets hope i can get it to dispense when i have these few gone! I re-shook the keg again at 30PSI.

__________________

Last edited by seabrew8; 04-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.
seabrew8 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Brewing Classic Style" by Jamil and John KayaBrew General Techniques 22 04-05-2010 01:32 AM
Should I Listen??? dances Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 02-01-2009 01:50 PM
Maybe The RNC Will listen schneemann Debate Forum 11 11-11-2008 10:39 PM
New Book by Jamil Zainasheff and John J. Palmer Came In... RLinNH General Chit Chat 23 11-22-2007 11:15 PM