Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why is it when I listen to Jamil and John, they seem to say...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
tamoore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I guess I've listened to more of his shows because he's said many many times that he primaries for 4 weeks (when asked in general). Sure there are lighter beers that don't need all that.
I've been picking and choosing what to listen to, as I'm a newbie for sure.. I've probably heard maybe 10 to 12 episodes in total, so I'm 'green' when it comes to it.

But, I'll have to say, in the ones I've heard (10 to 12 total episodes, most recent one was on 'packaging' - and this did come up), they seem to advocate a quick-to-bottle approach being OK. But, I am pulling this from a limited sampling of their shows, for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoore View Post
I've been picking and choosing what to listen to, as I'm a newbie for sure.. I've probably heard maybe 10 to 12 episodes in total, so I'm 'green' when it comes to it.

But, I'll have to say, in the ones I've heard (10 to 12 total episodes, most recent one was on 'packaging' - and this did come up), they seem to advocate a quick-to-bottle approach being OK. But, I am pulling this from a limited sampling of their shows, for sure.

Listen to this one on bottling/kegging. IIRC John Palmer talks briefly about keeping your beer on the yeast for 4 weeks or so.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Listen to this one on bottling/kegging. IIRC John Palmer talks briefly about keeping your beer on the yeast for 4 weeks or so.
That's the last one I did listen to. I must have missed that bit. I'll listen again, and pay closer attention. I'm wondering if they think feel it can be done quicker, but will default to a 'safer' longer period when teaching others how to do it?

I dunno...

I'm kegging an IPA tonight, and this has been its schedule.

12 days before dry hopping. (Hit the FG at 1.01, 5.5% ABV).
Then dry hopped in primary for 4 days.
Then cold crashed in primary for 4 days.
Will probably put it in the keg, force carb, and sample once it settles
If I like it, I'll drink it. If it tastes a little green, I'll wait another week. The sample I tasted before dry hopping was really good. I'll report on how it goes.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
RedGlass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

I don't think JZ ever advocated a super quick brew-to-bottle schedule. They were talking about when the beer could be packaged (i.e. when FG had been reached and was stable). I never heard him say it was a good/better/best way of doing things -- just that after 10 days you have beer, and if you want to start drinking it, you can.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

One thing for me is the question of if the aging needs to be on the yeast or not. Personally, I think not. This is why my method is to do 1-2 weeks primary (that's what hydrometer's are for), 1 week cold crash, and then 2 weeks in the keg carbing. After those 4-5 weeks, its usually pretty much delicious.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thanks for the info, guys.

Glenn,
Jamil is winning awards with his beer. Do you suppose he's just taking the piss when he says that he brews these things in a week to 10 days? Or, do you think his ribbon winning beers would be substantially better after a month? Is he just trying to keep his award winning secrets to himself in order to maintain competitive advantage?

I'm seriously puzzled by the whole thing.
Do you think Jamil is entering 10 day old beer in competitions?

I don't.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #17
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
One thing for me is the question of if the aging needs to be on the yeast or not. Personally, I think not. This is why my method is to do 1-2 weeks primary (that's what hydrometer's are for), 1 week cold crash, and then 2 weeks in the keg carbing. After those 4-5 weeks, its usually pretty much delicious.
It really depends on your processes. Leaving the beer on the yeast longer can clean up a lot of things (diacetyl, etc). So if your processes aren't great, yeah, yeast matters.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

If you listen to enough of his podcasts, you'll also hear him say to make sure you give the beer enough time before racking. You'll hear him say that unless the beer has cleared it isn't ready to rack yet.

On the other hand, if you read around these forums enough, you'll come across threads like this one:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/agin...cussion-84005/

My point is that there is no correct answer. If you want the best beer possible, time is almost always on your side. If you need to have a taste-able finished product in time to produce a radio show, that can be done too.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #19
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
It really depends on your processes. Leaving the beer on the yeast longer can clean up a lot of things (diacetyl, etc). So if your processes aren't great, yeah, yeast matters.
Yes, I agree with that of course. But I'm talking about a couple days (it only takes 2-3 days at 65+ for a diacetyl rest from what I hear) versus 3-5 weeks like some people mention. I always give it 3 days after I'm sure its done (with a hydrometer) to rest. I also raise the temp to about 72 for this since I normally ferment at 62-68 depending on the yeast.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but JZ's also a major proponent of pitching the "proper" amount of yeast, which for him seems like it's a lot more than most homebrewers usually pitch. I'd imagine that would not only reduce lag time but also result in a cleaner fermentation (i.e. perhaps a bit less aging necessary for the beer to be cleaned up).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply