Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why is the water receding in my airlock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
emgesp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why is the water receding in my airlock?

I've been notiching water loss in the airlock.

I filled up the airlock with sanitized water to the line and left it alone, a couple hours in I checked on it and noticed the water was under the line, so I filled it up again, came back and it's under the line again. Nothing is shaking it, so why the water loss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
emgesp1
Recipes 

FWIW, primary fermentation has not strated yet.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Either the fermentor's head space is cooling or you have a high-pressure air mass coming in.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Keep the cap on and the cat out of the room, he's drinking it....
But, yeah..the above is actually what I'm going with.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgesp1 View Post
I filled up the airlock with sanitized water to the line and left it alone, a couple hours in I checked on it and noticed the water was under the line
Is this a 3pc (disassembleable) lock? When the primary cools the floating cup in a 3pc gets sucked down to the bottom o fthe lock. Further vacuum will pull the airlock liquid down into the primary. Assuming the liquid is clean and orthodox this should cause no problem.

In situations where negative pressure is suspected (ambient cooliing, container flexing while moving) an S-type bubbler will allow the air to move backwards without sucking the liquid through.

Note that when your primary is outgassing lots of CO2 it is possible to lose liquid out the other end due to evaporation, overflow, splashing, etc. Evaporation is accelerated with volatile liquids like vodka and heavy outgassing as with ApfelWein. Luckily Ed warns us about this in advance.

Last edited by fratermus; 11-16-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: dorked up the quote brackets. Need coffee.

Quick Reply