why is there still bubbles in my air lock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmenn

Reaction score
I'm having a concern that is the reveres of what I usually hear here. I have a honey porter, (http://www.homebrewing.org/assets/images/AIH 2013 Recipes/AIH White House Honey Porter.pdf) That I brewed 4 weeks ago. The only deviation I made was to use honey from a friends hives, and added it just after flame out. 2 weeks ago I racked it into a carboy, mostly to make room for my next brew. At that time the SG was reading around 1.010 already slightly below what the recipe says. I just checked and it's at 1.009 now, but the airlock was still showing signs of activity, a bubble maybe ever 5 minutes. It looks perfect, absolutely no signs of infection, and tastes good.

My question is, is it safe to bottle, or should I wait? It's holding up my "pipeline".

Maybe I should just blame Obama, since it's his recipe and he has a history of holding up pipelines. :p

The airlock activity your seeing is normal.

A lot of folks may secondary beers 1-2 or
more weeks, particularly dark beers. But if you hit your gravity, tastes good and you need to make room, go ahead and bottle.

Scott Young

Agreed, perfectly normal. You are seeing CO2 come out of solution producing activity in your airlock. If the the FG is stable, go ahead and bottle

Back