Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why no secondary?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,355
Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

That is enough!

This is the BEGINNER'S forum. That's where the question was placed, that is where the question belongs, and I would expect you guys to either a) answer the question or b) walk away.

I don't care if this question is asked 100,000 times a day. That is the first time this person asked it. Just because it's "old" to you doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing and a valued question in this forum.

No one is obligated to answer it. If you can't say something nice, or positive, then walk away.

Now, get back to the topic and stop with the arguing. Right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
No reason to jump on his case if he is asking a question. There is a reason forum is called the "BEGINNER BEER BREWING FORUM". Let the beginners ask beginner questions in this forum. It;s not like he is asking it in the all grain forum.

If you get annoyed by repeating answers to beginner questions over and over again, maybe you should just not post in this "BEGINNER Beer brewing forum".
I agree wholeheartedly with this. If you feel you must lecture, rant, tell people to use the "search", etc, walk away and don't post here! This is NOT homebrewSEARCH.com, it is homebrewTALK.com.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,479
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Is it possible to "sticky" a master "Should I Use a Secondary" thread in the beginner forum? If it's a really common question and members are frustrated having to address it ad nauseum then maybe that's a way to keep everyone happy.

__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
davel57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 60
Default

Nowadays, the major perpetuators of the idea of secondary fermentation are the homebrew equipment sellers, who's premium and advanced kits always include a secondary fermentation carboy; not because it's needed, but because it allows for a bigger sale. The way it's advertised, it's easy to see why beginners would think that it is the best way to do it.

__________________
davel57 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,479
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Biggest reasons I use a secondary:

(1) frees up a primary to start the next batch
(2) it can be a looooooong time between brewing and bottling for me and I feel better with a secondary with no (or almost no) headspace and an airlock

__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #25
TTB-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 592
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel57 View Post
Nowadays, the major perpetuators of the idea of secondary fermentation are the homebrew equipment sellers, who's premium and advanced kits always include a secondary fermentation carboy; not because it's needed, but because it allows for a bigger sale. The way it's advertised, it's easy to see why beginners would think that it is the best way to do it.
I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but there's a lot to this statement. A guy that works at my LHBS told me that he had single-stage fermentation kits, but that he "wouldn't sell them to me because you can't make good beer with only one fermenter." Seriously - that's a direct quote. I told him that I had read here that you could leave it on the yeast for a month and get great results and he said "that's way too long - it will taste horrible." I told him I would bring him a bottle of my "horrible" beer and he could taste for himself, but it ended up being too good to waste a bottle on that guy!

Oh well, after time you learn that there isn't really a "best way" to do much of anything when it comes to homebrewing. After a few batches you just start to do whatever seems to work for you. A secondary isn't necessary for most ales because for most ales you just let them ferment out, clear for a week or so and bottle. All of that can be done in the primary with no risk to your beer - so why even bother transferring? But if racking to a secondary gives YOU better results because of YOUR experience, then who is anyone else to tell you that you're wrong or that long primaries are better?
__________________
If you can read this, you need to drink more beer.
TTB-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
two_hearted's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,269
Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
Is it possible to "sticky" a master "Should I Use a Secondary" thread in the beginner forum? If it's a really common question and members are frustrated having to address it ad nauseum then maybe that's a way to keep everyone happy.
Like this? http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...8/#post1204663
__________________
two_hearted is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
osagedr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 2,479
Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
Yes, but apparently that's too hard to find so...make it more obvious.
__________________

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

osagedr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #28
TTB-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 592
Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
This one too: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/faq-...question-7909/
__________________
If you can read this, you need to drink more beer.
TTB-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #29
Beerhooker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Niles, Michigan
Posts: 12
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thank you for all the help guys. Can't wait to get started!

__________________
Beerhooker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #30
northernlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NW
Posts: 1,602
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

With tthe amount of time most of us age beer, racking to a secondary won't produce clearer beer. So there's no reason to do it for that.
THe common wisdom, and perhaps even science, is that a month on the yeast will not harm and usually will improve a beer. So there's no reason to do it for that.
Even if you have considerable head space the positive pressure from fermentation and gassing off will eliminate the chance of oxidizing. So there's no reason to do it for that.
The only reason you would have to use a secondary is if you are adding fruit.
Even dry hops can be added to the primary.

__________________
northernlad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools