Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why no secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Beerhooker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On alot of post most of the more seasoned brewers say don't use a secondary. Why is this?

Last edited by Beerhooker; 04-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1231 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 561

I'd put it the other way: Why use one?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Waste of time, energy, clean up, etc. Unless its a big beer (>1100ish) I wont secondary at all. Just 4-6 weeks in primary and then cold crash and its good to go

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Orfy Likes This 
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The reason to use a secondary is to remove the inactive yeast from the beer.

In large scale breweries, this is done because the volume of beer in the fermenter applies great pressure upon the yeast. Yeast under stress die and autolyze causing off flavors.

Since this isn't a problem for the home brewer, secondary fermenters serve another purpose. This practice comes into play when aging a beer for an extended period of time(which can be done in the bottle) or when adding fruit or oak as a post fermentation flavoring agent.

Many brewers like using secondary fermenters and there is nothing wrong with them. Just many of us see it as an unneeded step.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The way i was explained to was this: for new people the secondary fermenter is used primarily as a means to start your second brew quicker if you don't want to wait the whole amount of time to finish your first batch.

Basically the carboy becomes not necessarily a secondary fermenter as much as another primary fermenter. Hope that's clear as mud.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Rather than starting ANOTHER thread about this, why don't you just read what's already beer written? It's not like there's no info available...

This is your best source.

I mean, in most of the threads where the "seasoned brewers" say they don't use them, they usually explain why.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Shoegaze99 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Beerhooker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Rather than starting ANOTHER thread about this, why don't you just read what's already beer written? It's not like there's no info available...

This is your best source.

I mean, in most of the threads where the "seasoned brewers" say they don't use them, they usually explain why.
I've been through many threads and alot of them just state they don't use them or that they do use a secondary Simply to start another brew. They don't give an explanation as to why. So I started the thread to get an exact answer. I figured it gave the brew a better flavor if you leave it in the primary. I am a newbie gathering info. No need to be an d!ck about it. I'm just learning.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Beerhooker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you guys. With every question I ask and with ever answer I become more knowledgeable and in turn become a better brewer.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Skinner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerhooker View Post
No need to be an d!ck about it. I'm just learning.
Revvy's not being a d!ck. It's just that this question has been asked hundreds of times. There are hundreds of threads dealing with it - it's been done to death. We appreciate that you are new and are learning - we were all there once. And when I was a newbie one of the best pieces of advice I was given was "Search is your friend." Most, if not all, questions you have can be answered by using the search function.

Welcome to the obsession!

Cheers!
K

Primary 1 - "March in May Cream Ale"
Primary 2 - empty
Bottled - "Four Ones Alt"
Kegged - "666 - The Number of the Wheat"
Crying Over - "Triple K Lager" that went down the drain

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
Shoegaze99
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerhooker View Post
I've been through many threads and alot of them just state they don't use them or that they do use a secondary Simply to start another brew. They don't give an explanation as to why. So I started the thread to get an exact answer. I figured it gave the brew a better flavor if you leave it in the primary. I am a newbie gathering info. No need to be an d!ck about it. I'm just learning.
Just a suggestion for the future, both here and for any other message board you visit: There is usually a FAQ located in a handy and obvious place, often a whole section of 'sticky' posts (posts always sectioned off at the top). In this case, it's right at the top of the Beginners forum. Can't miss it. The FAQ covers all the basics. Your question, in fact, is just the seventh on the list.

Also in that informational section, just a few links down is another handy link with details about what you're asking.

The first thing you should do on any message board, no matter the subject, is to seek that section and read it.

Cheers.

Quick Reply