Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why no carbonation in some of the bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
icantbejon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Why no carbonation in some of the bottles?

So I went through the bottling process and as far as I know everything went fine. I had a good 6pk and life was good. Two beers from the second 6pk I'm drinking seem to have no carbonation in the bottle whatsoever. How can that be? What would cause the discrepancy between them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
LaurieGator
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Go to this sticky to find Revvy's VERY INFORMATIVE bottling thread. Post #8 will give you the info on why some beer bottles carbonate differently.

Each bottle is it's own environment. How long has it been since you have bottled the beer? I find that if I have uneven carbonation between bottles it is because I have been drinking bottles close to the 3 week mark after bottling. When I leave them a little longer, the carbonation evens out between different bottles.

Fermenting: Grand Cru, Belgian Dubbel, Nut Brown Ale, Saison Sans Soul

Kegged: Honey Amber Ale, Centennial Blonde Ale,

Gone but not forgotten: Irish Red

Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
WxDaddy
Recipes 

I have had this very same issue with 2 batches. My most recent batch, a dead guy ale clone, didn't carbonate at all...which I have blamed on infection (even though I really have no idea whatsoever).

Interested to learn what others have found...

Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
munche
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had this problem when I just poured in the priming sugar rather than stirring it up into the wort.

On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde

Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munche View Post
I had this problem when I just poured in the priming sugar rather than stirring it up into the wort.
Me too.

Give it a gentle stir and all will be well in future batches.

On the batches that you have that are inconsistent...be careful. Some will be overcarbed just like others are undercarbed.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
icantbejon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
Go to this sticky to find Revvy's VERY INFORMATIVE bottling thread. Post #8 will give you the info on why some beer bottles carbonate differently.

Each bottle is it's own environment. How long has it been since you have bottled the beer? I find that if I have uneven carbonation between bottles it is because I have been drinking bottles close to the 3 week mark after bottling. When I leave them a little longer, the carbonation evens out between different bottles.
Thanks for the recommended reading...#8 definitely gave me some direction. I think I left the beer in a bad spot for the bottling, and it didn't stay near the 70 degrees it needed. I'm moving it today and gonna give it another week or so before I crack another one.

Quick Reply