Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why is my efficiency so low?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #31
bairdo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
For fly sparging, you definitely want to do a mash out. That means adding some near boiling water to your mashtun after the mash and before the sparge, to bring the entire grainbed up to 168 degrees. Then sparge with 168-170 degree water.
Thanks. I was thinking I probably should be.. approx how much boiling water would I need to bring up 22L of mash (at approx 151) to 168?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #32
bairdo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepth View Post
I have began a mashout with batch sparging for two reasons. The first is in the pursuit of higher efficiency. The second is that being a stovetop brewer getting the wort to start boiling is a pain to say the least. Doing a mashout allows some water to get good and hot on the stove while the grain is mashing, increasing the wort temp that comes out of the tun. Hotter wort from tun = less time until boiling.

The first time I did this I ended up with a small problem. I was mashing "thin" 2.5 L/KG. Sorry for the metric. But "thin" is the important part. When I added the mashout water I had so much in the tun I barely got a sparge at all. In my situation a slightly thicker mash (2.0 L/KG) + mashout works best, then I still get a good sparge opportunity.
Metric suits me (everything is metric in NZ)

Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #33
Zepth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdo View Post
Thanks. I was thinking I probably should be.. approx how much boiling water would I need to bring up 22L of mash (at approx 151) to 168?
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

They've got other handy calculators including but not limited to: IBUs and efficiency.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Good luck. I think my favorite piece of equipment is my refractometer and my second favorite is my calibrated site glass, third is my digital thermometer. Right after that is software to record measurements and interpret what they mean on the fly (I like Beer Alchemy).

Knowing where you are is a big part of figuring out where you are going. With a preboil gravity and volume I can determine almost exactly what my OG and volume will be into the fermenter. If I need more sugar I sparge some more before starting the boil, if that means I get more volume than I expected to get the sugar I need, then I tack some time onto the boil.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #35
bairdo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepth View Post
http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/

They've got other handy calculators including but not limited to: IBUs and efficiency.
Perfect - should have known. Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #36
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So...pretty much as I stated originally. Except that I think it's important to raise the grain temperature to 170 instead of 168. I do 171 on the side of caution, without worrying about tannins.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #37
bairdo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
For fly sparging, you definitely want to do a mash out. That means adding some near boiling water to your mashtun after the mash and before the sparge, to bring the entire grainbed up to 168 degrees. Then sparge with 168-170 degree water.
So using the brewersfriend calculator it says I'd need 9-10L of boiling (to bring up 20L of 66deg mash with 6.8kg grain to 76deg (169F). And just to confirm I'm supposed to do that before I start lautering?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #38
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

also pH of your mash water. use the pH 5.2 to get the perfect mash water pH. maybe it's something as simple as that!!

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 AM   #39
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdo View Post
So using the brewersfriend calculator it says I'd need 9-10L of boiling (to bring up 20L of 66deg mash with 6.8kg grain to 76deg (169F). And just to confirm I'm supposed to do that before I start lautering?
Yes. You want to denature the enzymes, as it takes like an hour to sparge and you want to preserve your malt profile from the mash.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #40
bairdo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes. You want to denature the enzymes, as it takes like an hour to sparge and you want to preserve your malt profile from the mash.
Understood. Will report back after next brew. Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply