The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why is lots of yeast even needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Don't confuse reproduction with respiration. There are 3 basic types of cell respiration; Aerobic respiration, Fermentation, and Anaerobic respiration. It's all about who's accepting electrons. Remember the Glycolysis->Oxidative decarboxylation of pyruvate->Kreb Cycle from biology class? Without oxygen, pyruvate goes through fermentation, the waste products being ethanol and CO2...and NAD+ to re-enter the glycolysis pathway...not a very efficient path for energy production but we're after the ethanol, not ATP :-)

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Don't confuse reproduction with respiration. There are 3 basic types of cell respiration; Aerobic respiration, Fermentation, and Anaerobic respiration. It's all about who's accepting electrons. Remember the Glycolysis->Oxidative decarboxylation of pyruvate->Kreb Cycle from biology class? Without oxygen, pyruvate goes through fermentation, the waste products being ethanol and CO2...and NAD+ to re-enter the glycolysis pathway...not a very efficient path for energy production but we're after the ethanol, not ATP :-)
We're talking more about reproducing under anaerobic conditions because of the stress it puts on the yeast before real fermentation starts. It takes a lot of energy to grow and divide, and that energy needs to come from somewhere. You're absolutely right, though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The short, less technical explanation is that your beer can develop all kinds of off flavors due to underpitching.

e.g. acetaldehyde, diacetyl, DMS, esters, fusel alcohols, vegetal aroma/flavor can all result from this.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #14
Plumpie
Recipes 

Thanks for the insightful thoughts! I'll experiment with some extremely low doses of yeast to see what i'll get.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You'll also increase the chance of infection by underpitching. Regardless of how well you sanitize some things you don't want it you beer, will get in there (a lot of them come off of you, and you don't really want to sanitize yourself!).

When you pitch an adequate amount of yeast, they take over and make a hostile environment for most critters to live in. They use up all the oxygen, create alcohol and eat food so fast most everything else just can't keep up. That gives you some buffer room so that even if a few thousand spores from some other bug make it in the wort (and the always always always will) they get out competed and die before they do any damage.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumpie View Post
Thanks for the insightful thoughts! I'll experiment with some extremely low doses of yeast to see what i'll get.
Enjoy your poor tasting, underattenuated beverages!

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply