Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why the insistencies? WHY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
filmman03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

after i bottled my Tiger Tank Altbier I was afraid that the bottles would not be consistant carbonation w/ all of them b/c i did not stir. but alas, my fears are diminished b/c of this thread! many thanks.

My Brews:
- Bottled: Tiger Tank Altbier, Hefeweizen
- Fermenting:
- Next: IPA?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ding_brew View Post
What I'm referring to is beer somewhere in the muddle. Not at the end. When this happens some of the beer at the end is not as good as in the middle. From what I have read leads me to believe that it is more about inconsistent sugar and possible cleanliness problems. I think I will stir my priming sugar which I don't. I usually dump the liquid half way into my bottling bucket transfer. I will also switch from onestep to starsan and see if I get more consistent batches. I will report as soon as I set things up. I am also using ez-cap bottles and although they are not that old I will replace all of the gadgets to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the great ideas.
I think you need to be clear about what you are saying. Do you mean the ones in the beginning and end are not carbed? Just saying they are "good" isn't exactly chock full of information. Good tells everyone very little about what you are experiencing.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 12-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #23
ding_brew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What I mean is that they have better head, nicer lacing, smoother taste. Not necessarily more carbed but just nicer to drink.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

It seems to me that he means the beers that were from the middle of the beer column in the bottling bucket. When I bottle mine,I know which bottles were from the bottom,& which from the top. his best ones were from the middle of the total bunch of bottles. That's my take on it,since I kinda keep the same orientation in my mind...

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
It seems to me that he means the beers that were from the middle of the beer column in the bottling bucket. When I bottle mine,I know which bottles were from the bottom,& which from the top. his best ones were from the middle of the total bunch of bottles. That's my take on it,since I kinda keep the same orientation in my mind...
Does he though? Possibly or is it that the first ones don't taste as good, middle ones are fine and last ones have issue, no matter where they came from in the bottling process? To me that says green beer at first, good beer in the middle, before other problems (sanitation, oxidation, etc.) start setting in to ruin the last few.

Clarification could go a long way towards understanding the issue. He says it's a matter of having a better head, lacing and a smoother taste, not necessarily a question of a difference in carbonation.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 12-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

He posted a minute before me,& I didn't look up. It's also a matter of conditioning with some beers in the middle of the box,others around the sides,that sort of thing. As it relates to ambient temps. Seems to me revvs got into this one before. Add time to the equasion,& the results from one group of bottles to another can be noticeable. That's what I was basically getting at. I've seen it myself,just lookin for a way to describe it.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #27
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
He posted a minute before me,& I didn't look up. It's also a matter of conditioning with some beers in the middle of the box,others around the sides,that sort of thing. As it relates to ambient temps. Seems to me revvs got into this one before. Add time to the equasion,& the results from one group of bottles to another can be noticeable. That's what I was basically getting at. I've seen it myself,just lookin for a way to describe it.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your premise at all. I'm just saying it's not easy to tell what he's describing without more data.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Most people don't. I sure as heck don't. I think you're reading waaay too much into this. I couldn't tell you which bottle is from which part of the bottling bucket....and I don't believe that matters at all.

Shooter and I seem to be the only people getting this. He's talking conditioning, He get's to the MIDDLE of his drinking of the batch, which falls around the time his batch reaches it's peak (probably around three or four weeks, like it is for everyone else, when the beer's no longer green.....It's the same question we get on here 10 times a day, just phrased a little awkwardly.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #29
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Assuming master Revvy is correct, the problem is still oxidation. It's hard to drink 60-70 beers at peak freshness if that period is only a week.

Limiting oxidation is key to good homebrew. Racking your beer into the priming solution could be a good practice. It will mix and you don't need to stir as much.

I don't bottle condition very often but when I add finings I always rack into the solution in a purged container. Much lesss oxygen pickup that way.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #30
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

If you have the fridge room, when the beer peaks, chill it. That will hold the peak a lot longer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS