Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why does my beer have no alcohol?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
KCMOHophead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 54
Default

And you took a reading before fermentation and after. Also, you made the correct temp adjustments on the hydrometer?

__________________

Primary - Honey Weiss
Primary #2 - Imperial IPA
Bottled - Caribou Slopper (American Brown Ale)
Drinking - IPA, Blue Moon Clone
Coming SOON! - Barleywine???
KCMOHophead is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,337
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Did you look at your hydrometer at the end of fermentation and see it at the 1.5% line on the ABV scale? If so, yer doin' it wrong. That's a "potential" alcohol scale and really only works for wines and meads that can ferment down to 1.000. You use it at the start to see how much alcohol you will have if it ferments out completely. As said above you need to take a hydrometer reading before fermentation and one after, subtract the two and you can figure your ABV from that.

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 48,104
Liked 4828 Times on 4431 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

To properly determine alcohol content you must have two hydrometer readings. One prior to fermentation and one after fermentation.

What you have done is just simple read the Alcohol scale which means little post fermentation. that scale is a potential alcohol scale based on available sugars in the solution but has no correlation to yeast actual performance or fermentability of the sugars in the wort.

At this point, trust the kit.

__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,497
Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Did you look at your hydrometer at the end of fermentation and see it at the 1.5% line on the ABV scale? If so, yer doin' it wrong. That's a "potential" alcohol scale and really only works for wines and meads that can ferment down to 1.000. You use it at the start to see how much alcohol you will have if it ferments out completely. As said above you need to take a hydrometer reading before fermentation and one after, subtract the two and you can figure your ABV from that.

Why can't you subtract the difference?
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,337
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Why can't you subtract the difference?
You can if you take the reading at the start and the finish. If you just look at the end, you have nothing to subtract from. But, even if you do that, that scale isn't as accurate as using your SG readings. At least on my hydrometer it isn't.
__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,497
Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
You can if you take the reading at the start and the finish. If you just look at the end, you have nothing to subtract from. But, even if you do that, that scale isn't as accurate as using your SG readings. At least on my hydrometer it isn't.
But you would have the same problem if you didn't take a reading at the start using the SG scale. As far as accuracy, if I get to within .5 of the ABV I am happy. But for me it is just for casual consumption not a product I need to duplicate every time. I use the alcohol scale all the time now, gives me what I need to know without conversions. Oh I don't do specific recipies either, just create a new brew just about every time so I am setting the SG/FG. I am very basic in my brewing.

I use the SG scale for my aquarium.....but different hydrometer!
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,337
Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
But you would have the same problem if you didn't take a reading at the start using the SG scale. As far as accuracy, if I get to within .5 of the ABV I am happy. But for me it is just for casual consumption not a product I need to duplicate every time. I use the alcohol scale all the time now, gives me what I need to know without conversions.

I use the SG scale for my aquarium.....but different hydrometer!
Yeah, but I'm taking SG readings anyway at the start and finish.
__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #18
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern, NJ
Posts: 3,497
Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Yeah, but I'm taking SG readings anyway at the start and finish.


.....I record them too, just never do anything with them.
__________________
jgln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Corkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Naches, Wa
Posts: 284
Liked 18 Times on 6 Posts

Default

OG minus FG times 131 is the conversion, right?

__________________

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Corkster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #20
BORIStheCrusher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toledo
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks all for the responses, and yes I was only taking readings after fermentation. I guess I thought it would still give me the same result. Although even if I was reading it off, my first batch still had a watery taste to it. But I'm going to be bottling my IPA this week so we'll se how that turns out.

__________________
BORIStheCrusher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making 11% alcohol beer.. wine or beer yeast? cell Fermentation & Yeast 37 04-27-2010 02:40 PM
root beer with alcohol? sublimenal General Beer Discussion 9 02-16-2010 12:56 PM
non-alcohol beer Gumbys_Brew General Beer Discussion 6 11-04-2008 01:51 PM
Low alcohol beer... comj49 Recipes/Ingredients 20 07-13-2008 01:11 PM