Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why does commercial beer get skunky?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
impatient
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why does commercial beer get skunky?

The consensus around here seems to be "the longer you wait the better it gets".

Is there a cut-off, because commercial beer like Sam Adams and Budweiser follow a born-on date?

Also, commercial beer will go bad if you get them cold, warm and then cold again. Do ales do the same thing?

I was just reminded of bad beer when this came in the mail. About six months ago I got a bad sixer and SWMBO sent them an email.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Pale Ale, IPA, Extra Pale Ale
Kegged: Hoppy Vienna Lager
Drinking: AllBitterNoFlavorTonOMunich Ale, Amber Ale, Cream of Three Crops
Soon: SA Black Lager Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Commercial beers gets skunked if its packaged in green or clear bottles, they don't use a light-stable hop extract, and the bottles are exposed to sunlight or fluorescent light. The same thing happens with homebrew.

How well beers age is pretty much a factor of alcohol content and ingredients. High alcohol beers tend to age much better than low-alcohol beers. Most wheat beers don't age particularly well. Hop-forward beers may or may not age well, but much of the hop character and bitterness is lost with extended aging. Again, there is little difference between homebrew and commercial beers. What does impair commercial products is abuse during shipping and storage - at home, we can control these conditions, but we have no influence over how commercial beers are treated.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 01-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I have always wondered the same thing. A lot of the times I will go to a store where you can buy a six pack or singles and drink them there, the beer has been on the shelf for the past 4 months, I think that might cause some off flavors.... but what do I know

well.... I know to check dates on the bottles or box now

Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I think the warming/cooling thing is a myth. Bud Light might not be able to withstand it well, but any decent commercial beer and homebrew shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient View Post
Also, commercial beer will go bad if you get them cold, warm and then cold again.
I've heard this, but I wonder if it is really true. Anyone know?

Quote:
That is really cool

Old 01-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I've been lambasted in the past about my opinions on "skunked" beer. I don't think skunking is as common as people want to believe. Sometimes, beer is is just not as good as we think it should be, so we invent a reason for it. I'm not saying that skunking does not happen, just that it is the go to excuse for crappy beer.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

There's a Basic Brewing Video where they leave some SNPA in a clear glass in the sun. After 45 minutes, the beer was undrinkable!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylornate View Post
I've heard this, but I wonder if it is really true. Anyone know?

That is really cool
From what I have read in the past, extreme temp differences (especially damaging are excessively warm temps) over a short period of time will degrade the quality of many brews. I ran across a site a while back were a guy subjected beers to all sorts of abuse and reported the results...I'll have to see if I can find it.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
There's a Basic Brewing Video where they leave some SNPA in a clear glass in the sun. After 45 minutes, the beer was undrinkable!
But why would anyone do that!!?? I can do the same with a pound of pork sausages and tell anyone it is a bad idea.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 01-31-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
From what I have read in the past, extreme temp differences (especially damaging are excessively warm temps) over a short period of time will degrade the quality of many brews. I ran across a site a while back were a guy subjected beers to all sorts of abuse and reported the results...I'll have to see if I can find it.
I'm not that interested in anything extreme. I just want to know if you buy chilled beer and let it warm to room temp before chilling it again if it really has any impact.

Quick Reply