Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > why do you leave wort in primary for 28 days

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
sims_l22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default why do you leave wort in primary for 28 days

this is a question i have for those who leave wort in primary for 28 days. Why? Because i tasted my beer after fermentation (5 days) and it was the best full bodied beer that i had brew. After i left it for another 23 days and 15 days of conditioning it is weak and no carbonation. Please explain to me this technique. I messed up my brew. this was going to the State Fair competition.
sims_l22

•Primary #1: Empty
•Primary #2: Empty
•Secondary: Empty
•Conditioning:
•Future: Robust Porter
•Future: Breakfast Stout
•Future: Imperial Pale Ale
•Future: Belgium Triple Ale
•Drinking:
•Drinking:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

What kind of beer?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Clearing/conditioning, mostly. Not sure what you did there.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
sims_l22
Recipes 

California Style Imperial Ale

•Conditioning:
•Drinking:
•Drinking:

Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

First of all beer in a fermenter is already a BEER and not WORT. Once you add yeast, it's a beer. And why is it better after longer fermentation? There is probably a lot of answers to that question, but the bottom line is that people tested it both ways, and majority of brewers nowadays say 3-4 weeks in primary does your beer good.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

It's likely that what you perceived to be "fuller flavor" was simply a yeast-dense beer that had not completely attenuated and was still sweet from non-fermented sugars. Now that the beer is fermented and the sugars converted to alcohol, the beer is indeed thinner.

Almost every brewer will attest that tasting fully fermented and properly conditioned beer out of a secondary will yield disappointing (thin and flavorless) taste results.

Carbonation is a huge component of rounding out the flavor and mouthfeel profile. See the beer through and don't judge your product until it is "final".

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
sims_l22
Recipes 

I really appreciate all the info guys. I will see the beer through and give it another 3 weeks in a warmer room.
thanks

•Conditioning:
•Drinking:
•Drinking:

Old 02-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

during primary fermentation the yeast convert the sugars to alcohol, CO2, and various byproducts that can cause off flavors. during secondary fermentation, which happens during and after primary fermentation, the yeast clean up those byproducts resulting in a cleaner beer. BeirMuncher is right carbonation helps quite a bit. just let the beer sit and carb fully then taste the beer. if its still not right just wait a few more weeks. the taste of a beer will change quite a bit while its in the bottle and will improve.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims_l22 View Post
i tasted my beer after fermentation (5 days) and it was the best full bodied beer that i had brew. After i left it for another 23 days and 15 days of conditioning it is weak and no carbonation.
During fermentation and conditioning the CO2 is allowed to escape. Afterward it is primed with sugar in the bottle or force carbonated in a keg.

Young beers taste sweeter (even after feremtnation is complete). The sweetness mellows and melds with the other flavors as it conditions, whether that's done in primary, secondary, or bottle/keg.
Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Carbonation *does* change the flavor of the beer.

Ever noticed how flat soda tastes different from fresh soda, even at the same temperature? Same thing with beer.

What happens is that as carbon dioxide is subjected to pressure in a container with beer (which is mostly water), it enters into solution and an amount of carbonic acid (H2CO3) is created. Carbonic acid exists in relation to the dissolved carbon dioxide in solution.

Carbonic acid is very acidic, and adds a tangy flavor to beer. As your beer fizzes and goes flat, the amount of carbon dioxide in your beer lowers, and therefore carbonic acid breaks down, literally changing the flavor of your beer. This is why some maltier beers are tastier at low carbonation (wee heavy), and other, fruiter beers are better with high carbonation (hefenweizens). One of the reasons why hefs are served with lemon (or orange if you're a Blue Moon drinker) is the citric acid, which reinforces the flavors introduced by a high level of carbonation.

When your beer tasted fantastic so soon after fermentation, you were probably tasting a significant amount of carbonation along with the beer. After 2-3 weeks, a lot of that carbon dioxide has left solution and your beer tastes flat.

So long story short, carb it. It will literally change the flavor of your beer.

Note: I'm not a chemist, and could be talking out my rear on this, but I'm pretty sure the basics are right in there.

Quick Reply