Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do brewers buy Chico yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #41
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

My two bits for the OP.

Some homebrewers are all about brewing for the very lowest price. I understand and respect that.

For me, though, the couple of dollars I might save just isn't worth the time. I don't have enough brewing time as is, and I find it difficult to invest more of that scarce commodity when I could spend $7 for a vial of liquid yeast.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_rob View Post
I have a question that I hope people will reflect on...Why do brewers buy Chico / WLP001 / US 05 / 1056 yeast from homebrew stores or labs? This has to be one of the most commonly sold yeasts, but you can get the yeast with a (nearly) free sixpack!

For almost the exact same cost, a person can purchase and enjoy almost six bottles of SNPA. I've got an APA and a cherry ale bottle conditioning and another IPA in primary, all with yeast cultured off my last bottle of SNPA. And I have 2 more mason jars with the same yeast washed and waiting for a future brew.

I know this would be to complicated for someone on their first few brewing attempts, but most of us are beyond that point.

So, tell me what you think...am I nuts or can we all enjoy a little free beer when we buy yeast?

Some of us are just plain lazy - it's SO MUCH easier to just buy it from the LHBS (and I even drink SNPA from time to time).

I like your enthusiasm, though...

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply