Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do brewers buy Chico yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
mt_rob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where I'm at in western Montana, SNPA is $7 to $8 a six pack....I sympathize with you if it's $12

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 3

True, I forget that beer in NYC is 3 or 4 bucks more than other states

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
brushvalleybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Convenience.

In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, in my case it's because I'm too pressed for time to mess with it. I mean, you might as well ask why eaters buy steak pre-cut at the grocery store.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I only bottle harvest the yeast I CAN'T get easily, if at all. But Chico in the form of US-05 is so ubiquitous and frankly dirt cheap that I don't know why anyone would wanna harvest it from a bottle.

If I'm bottle harvesting a yeast OR for that matter using liquid yeast, I have to plan it out far enough ahead to make the starter/harvest. One of the reasons I like 05 is that I don't need to think about yeast till yeast pitch, because I keep several packs on hand in my fridge, so I can just pitch it as needed.

Plus I'm not a big fan of snpa, so I wouldn't "enjoy" drinking it.... And 3 bucks or so is a lot cheaper than a sixer of the beer, and the dme.

It doesn't make any sense to me to battle harvest it....If I want to keep it on hand in liquid form, then all I need to do is wash the yeast from my fermenter, then I have a ton of wet chico yeast. But again, it's so cheap dry, that I never bother to even wash and harvest that yeast. Jars of harvested yeast takes up more space in a fridge than the 6 packs of it I have in the butter compartment of my fridge.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6190 Times on 5383 Posts
Likes Given: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I only bottle harvest the yeast I CAN'T get easily, if at all. But Chico in the form of US-05 is so ubiquitous and frankly dirt cheap that I don't know why anyone would wanna harvest it from a bottle.
Plus, has anyone confirmed that SN uses chico as their bottle conditioning yeast? I seem to recall some discussions on here in the past that it's well known what they use to ferment, but that they may use something different after it's filtered, prior to packaging.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
mt_rob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

If I'm bottle harvesting a yeast OR for that matter using liquid yeast, I have to plan it out far enough ahead to make the starter/harvest. One of the reasons I like 05 is that I don't need to think about yeast till yeast pitch, because I keep several packs on hand in my fridge, so I can just pitch it as needed.

Plus I'm not a big fan of snpa, so I wouldn't "enjoy" drinking it.... And 3 bucks or so is a lot cheaper than a sixer of the beer, and the dme.

It doesn't make any sense to me to battle harvest it....If I want to keep it on hand in liquid form, then all I need to do is wash the yeast from my fermenter, then I have a ton of wet chico yeast. But again, it's so cheap dry, that I never bother to even wash and harvest that yeast. Jars of harvested yeast takes up more space in a fridge than the 6 packs of it I have in the butter compartment of my fridge.
Talk about seeing something from two different sides! I think it's so plentiful and available that I don't see the need to buy it. And you think it's so plentiful and available that you don't see any reason not to just buy it.

Some issues seem to have no simple answer...

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's only plentiful in the bottles if you want to drink it, which I don't, and for the price of the sixer, ($10 bucks?) that's 3 packs of safale at my lhbs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #19
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

-I don't like planning out that far.
-dme isn't free
-I'd rather do something else with my time.

I think it is a silly way to maybe save some money. More power to you though.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Exactly....thanks Revvy!!

Quick Reply