*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do big breweries mainly create lagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #111
Doctor_Wily
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
....My goal as a new homebrewer is to really open the eyes of some of my friends who are hardcore about BMC and show them that there is so much more to beer...
I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way. If that is your goal as a homebrewer prepare to be disappointed. I say that because many people who are "hardcore about BMC" are that way, again, because they like it. I have a few friends who are BMC type fans, and they don't like homebrew, it's "too heavy". Hey, that's fine, to each their own. Your goal should be to have a good time making good beer and learning more about beer in general.

I'm a fairly new brewer myself (8 batches down on the newer rig, not counting Mr. beer and other experiments prior to that) and learned the number 1 rule is to brew for yourself. I JUST brewed a beer my GF likes (was batch 6, our xmas gift to friends/family) so if I was brewing for others I'd be discouraged quickly.

I hope your friends enjoy your brew, but if they don't, be not offended.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Last edited by Doctor_Wily; 12-07-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: type
45_70sharps Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #112
filmman03
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_Wily View Post
I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it that way. If that is your goal as a homebrewer prepare to be disappointed. I saw that because many people who are "hardcore about BMC" are that way, again, because they like it. I have a few friends who are BMC type fans, and they don't like homebrew, it's "too heavy". Hey, that's fine, to each their own. Your goal should be to have a good time making good beer and learning more about beer in general.

I'm a fairly new brewer myself (8 batches down on the newer rig, not counting Mr. beer and other experiments prior to that) and learned the number 1 rule is to brew for yourself. I JUST brewed a beer my GF likes (was batch 6, our xmas gift to friends/family) so if I was brewing for others I'd be discouraged quickly.

I hope your friends enjoy your brew, but if they don't, be not offended.
no worries dude. i wouldn't be offended as this is a hobby for me. just like working on my car or making beef jerky is a hobby of mine, so is homebrewing now. its exciting and lots of fun. even if friends or family don't enjoy my brew, i will. i do want some of my friends to realize the potential of other beer out there but i highly doubt my 1 batch of homebrew would change their minds.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #113
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 687 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I thought about this on the drive home. I think you have a 1 dimensional understanding about what a lager is.....

I suggest that if you want to try a lager that is rich, hearty, with spice and punch that you try one of these beers;

Celebrator Doppelbock.
I picked up a 4-pack of this a couple of weeks ago to try it for the first time.

Wow.

I was blown away. This is the best beer I've ever had. There was something otherworldly about it - it just elevates the whole beer drinking experience to another level I never even knew existed. It doesn't hurt that I had just finished reading the chapter on Bocks in Daniels' "Designing Great Beers," so I was giddy while explaining the meaning of the goat trinket draped around the neck of the bottle, and the 2 goats on the label, to my wife. She wasn't as fascinated as I was.

I can't wait to try this beer again. Everything about it was perfect.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #114
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
not saying that ppl are too stupid to read between the lines or too stupid to know what they want/like.

why is it that these ppl actually buy this kind of beer though? taste? price? advertising? i think its all 3 but the price being the most significant that drives the masses to buy this kind of beer.
It's not price though. In Nova Scotia I'd pay 24 and change for 12 Keith's/Blue/Bud. I'd pay 25 for 2 6's of the local craft/micro. In Nova Scotia Keith's is said to outsell all other brands 2-1. It's a fizzy yellow "ale".

Marketing has taught most people that a good beer is cold and wet, nothing more. The coldest and wettest wins. Things like flavours, aromas and visual presentation aren't factors.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #115
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

What the hell is BMC?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #116
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
What the hell is BMC?
It's the catch all phrase for mass market lagers/light lagers. it comes from how a waitress in a non craft beer bar, when ased what they have on tap, starts the litany "Bud/Miller/Coors/Bud light/Miller Light/Coors Light...." In just about every bar that is EXACTLY how it is somewhat mindlessly repeated.

I usually ask them to start from the bottom of the list, because that's normally going to be where I find the beer closest to what I'd like to drink, which in a bmc type bar would usually be Guinness, Killian's or if we're lucky Sam Adams, or at least Stella.

But usually that confuses the heck out of them, because they say it the other way a thousand times a day.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #117
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
What the hell is BMC?
Bud Miller Coors

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #118
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I picked up a 4-pack of this a couple of weeks ago to try it for the first time.

Wow.

I was blown away. This is the best beer I've ever had. There was something otherworldly about it - it just elevates the whole beer drinking experience to another level I never even knew existed. It doesn't hurt that I had just finished reading the chapter on Bocks in Daniels' "Designing Great Beers," so I was giddy while explaining the meaning of the goat trinket draped around the neck of the bottle, and the 2 goats on the label, to my wife. She wasn't as fascinated as I was.

I can't wait to try this beer again. Everything about it was perfect.
Yep....great beer. Ayinger is class.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #119
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Aha. I see. Thanks!! Reminds me of an old, old joke....

Arthur Guinness, Adolph Coors, Fred Miller, and Adolphus Busch all went into a bar.

Mr. Coors ordered a Coors, of course.
Mr. Miller ordered a High Life.
Mr. Busch ordered a Bud.
Mr. Guinness ordered a Sprite.

Astounded, all three men stared at Arthur and said "Surely YOU of all people would want a beer, sir?" to which Mr. Guinness shrugged and said "Well, you guys aren't drinking, so neither am I..."

heehee

Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #120
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder View Post
Aha. I see. Thanks!! Reminds me of an old, old joke....

Arthur Guinness, Adolph Coors, Fred Miller, and Adolphus Busch all went into a bar.

Mr. Coors ordered a Coors, of course.
Mr. Miller ordered a High Life.
Mr. Busch ordered a Bud.
Mr. Guinness ordered a Sprite.

Astounded, all three men stared at Arthur and said "Surely YOU of all people would want a beer, sir?" to which Mr. Guinness shrugged and said "Well, you guys aren't drinking, so neither am I..."

heehee
Guinness should have ordered some charcoal and milk regurgitated by a
diseased hippo.

Quick Reply