Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why did my beer fizz all out over everywhere

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
kiwiguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why did my beer fizz all out over everywhere

Hi there

This was my first bottle I have ever opened of my own home brew. I only started brewing at christmas time .

There was much excitement for me when I decided to open my first bottle on Saturday night, its been in the bottle approx 7 weeks . I had the beer bottled in the grolsch style bottles, 750ml. The moment I opened the lid the beer came firing out with such force, it was though I had shaken and shaken a bottle of bubbly. I PROBABLY LOST HALF OF THE BOTTLE BEFORE IT STOPPED!!

I didnt over carbonate. I put in the 2 drops as suggested for a 650ml bottle. Whats gone wrong ??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am unfamiliar with the drops you are referring to, but I figure it was some form of priming sugar tablets.

After the beer exploded everywhere, did you pour the beer into a glass? Did it seem to still be carbed and tasty?

Was the bottle room temp or cooled? Take a beer and stick it in the fridge, or to cool it fast stick it in ice water with some salt. A cold beer is less likely to go everywhere than a warm beer.

I have an imperial stout that foams over if it is not in the fridge. I had this happen at a tasting, a bit embarrassing. It is perfectly tasty and awesome, it just foams for some reason.

Try one chilled (not just 10 minutes in the fridge, either a couple hours or 15 minutes in the ice mixture) and tell us how it turned out.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #3
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1207

sounds like you need to chill them. I like to do an ice bath for 10 min and yes i try mine before 2 weeks sometimes and they are carbed and tastey. But maybe im lucky becaue 3 weeks @70 degrees is recommended, but good job on 7 weeks wow first one? Thats impressive patience!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
kiwiguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
I am unfamiliar with the drops you are referring to, but I figure it was some form of priming sugar tablets.

After the beer exploded everywhere, did you pour the beer into a glass? Did it seem to still be carbed and tasty?

Was the bottle room temp or cooled? Take a beer and stick it in the fridge, or to cool it fast stick it in ice water with some salt. A cold beer is less likely to go everywhere than a warm beer.

I have an imperial stout that foams over if it is not in the fridge. I had this happen at a tasting, a bit embarrassing. It is perfectly tasty and awesome, it just foams for some reason.

Try one chilled (not just 10 minutes in the fridge, either a couple hours or 15 minutes in the ice mixture) and tell us how it turned out.
Hey thanks for your reply, yeah they are carbonisation drops , sugar like a lolly. I had put the bottle in the fridge for about half an hour before I went to drink it. Once the bottle had finished doing its thing fizzing out every where what was left i poured into a glass although it was extremely cloudy after been stirred up (was crystal clear in the bottle), the beer was actually quite nice

Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
kiwiguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
sounds like you need to chill them. I like to do an ice bath for 10 min and yes i try mine before 2 weeks sometimes and they are carbed and tastey. But maybe im lucky becaue 3 weeks @70 degrees is recommended, but good job on 7 weeks wow first one? Thats impressive patience!
Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha! i keep getting different suggestions from people as to how long i should wait, the majortiy have said I should be waiting 10-12 weeks. How long do you suggest

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha! i keep getting different suggestions from people as to how long i should wait, the majortiy have said I should be waiting 10-12 weeks. How long do you suggest
Testing one 2-3 weeks after bottling (if the beer has been at 70 degrees-ish) is great.

But I think the foaming has to do with only chilling it for a short time. Next time, put one in the fridge at least 24 hours before hand. That will give the beer time to absorb the co2 that may still be in the headspace, as co2 dissolves better in cold liquids.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy View Post
Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha!
HA HA, I usually do that when i have a new batch after a week and have had a few brews and a "aw-screw it,im ice bathin it and trying this one" and since ive been making better beers learnin the ropes i havent had to dump one yet and ive tried one only 5 days carbed.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

For waiting to drink, give 3 weeks minimum. It depends on the brews, some take longer (like anything with spices or Belgian ales).

Half an hour isn't really enough time. If it tasted fine then the beer is fine, either is too warm or just a bit over carbed. If the beer in your glass seems to bubble normally (after the explosion) then the carbing is fine.

Do the ice bath and test another, quickest way to tell. 15 minutes in an ice bath with salt is plenty of time to chill down a brew if most of the bottle is submerged.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
kiwiguy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
For waiting to drink, give 3 weeks minimum. It depends on the brews, some take longer (like anything with spices or Belgian ales).

Half an hour isn't really enough time. If it tasted fine then the beer is fine, either is too warm or just a bit over carbed. If the beer in your glass seems to bubble normally (after the explosion) then the carbing is fine.

Do the ice bath and test another, quickest way to tell. 15 minutes in an ice bath with salt is plenty of time to chill down a brew if most of the bottle is submerged.
you guys rock appreciate all the advice ... living and learning . thankyou

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
EarlyBirdBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I have a stout that I brewed back in October that overflows on ever bottle even after chilling for a few days. Sometimes they just do that.

I set mine in the sink right after opening and then pour out from under the foam pretty quickly in order to get the most out of the bottle.

EarlyBird Brewing
www.earlybirdbrew.com

Primary: [Emma]rillo Wheat, Apfelwein
Secondary: N/A
Bottled: AHS 20th Pale Ale, British Mild, Blueberry Chocolate Stout, Piloncillo Brown, Baltic Porter, Oaked Baltic Porter

Quick Reply