Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > why did all the beer foam out the bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
almostdone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default why did all the beer foam out the bottle

I used a 1 gallon kit brew mix from Brooklyn Brew Shop (a gift). I thought all was well, but when it came time to open the first bottle - it all foamed out. Is there an obvious, easy reason for that? I'd like to try another brew and would like to know if I did something everyone knows is a simply corrected error.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
medusa1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You either overcarbonated the bottles (too much sugar per volume of beer). Or you have an infection. Or perhaps you did not refrigerate long enough. Please give a rundown of your pre bottling beer volume, priming sugar, method of priming, sanitizer used, and length of priming time. Did you taste a bottle?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

First of all,you have to fridge your new beers for at least 5-6 days to get co2 into solution to an exceptable level. 2 weeks is better for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
Opening a warm beer,or one that's only been in the fridge for an hour or so can foam up like that from not getting much of the co2 into solution. Worst case scenario,the beer wasn't at FG when it was primied & bottled. or stalled,then primed & bottled.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Your beer isn't done carbing yet.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

If you have some bottles that foam over, and some that don't, then the priming sugar was not mixed evenly.

If all (or most) of the bottles foam over, you either have an infection, or it wasn't completely fermented when you bottled.
If you waited plenty of time (like 2-3 weeks) before you bottled it, likely you have an infection.
Either way, foaming over is an indication of overcarbonation, and it can and will lead to bottle bombs which can be very dangerous.
Cover them with a towel. If they've been bottled for 3 weeks, put them in a fridge (wrapped in a towel).
Be careful.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
If you have some bottles that foam over, and some that don't, then the priming sugar was not mixed evenly.

If all (or most) of the bottles foam over, you either have an infection, or it wasn't completely fermented when you bottled.
If you waited plenty of time (like 2-3 weeks) before you bottled it, likely you have an infection.
Either way, foaming over is an indication of overcarbonation, and it can and will lead to bottle bombs which can be very dangerous.
Cover them with a towel. If they've been bottled for 3 weeks, put them in a fridge (wrapped in a towel).
Be careful.
Not every single time. A beer that's opened warm or only in the fridge a short time will use all that co2 in the small head space as a nucleation point When opened. beersuvious. I've had that happen before with beers that weren't chilled,or only a couple hours. I now give them a minimum of 6 days fridge time to get as much co2 into solution as possible. 2 weeks is the best for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
Over-priming & infections can cause this problem. But are not the sole cause. Infections are pretty rare in actuality. Just using the hydrometer & a cheap digital scale to weigh the priming sugar go a long way to preventing this. PATIENCE!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Would the beer taste bad if it was infected?

I made an apricot wheat where some of the bottles gush but the beer still tastes good. I'm guessing that I didn't wait long enough from when I added my apricot puree to when I bottled...

Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

If it tastes good after a proper amount of conditioning time,then it's NOT infected. Infections generally get more pronounced over time,rather than better. But fruit can be the stinger. Added to beer in secondary,it can cause second fermentation. Always use a hydrometer to make sure a stable FG is reached before bottling. Fruit puree at bottling is a no-no...that's just begging for trouble.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Worst case scenario,the beer wasn't at FG when it was primied & bottled. or stalled,then primed & bottled.
I'm wondering if that's not the case.

What was the SG at bottling time? How long (or had it?) been stable at that gravity?

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
If it tastes good after a proper amount of conditioning time,then it's NOT infected. Infections generally get more pronounced over time,rather than better. But fruit can be the stinger. Added to beer in secondary,it can cause second fermentation. Always use a hydrometer to make sure a stable FG is reached before bottling. Fruit puree at bottling is a no-no...that's just begging for trouble.
Yeah. I waited a few days after I added the puree but I didn't do any gravity readings. Lesson learned...

Quick Reply