New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why Belgian Candy sugar and not corn for real Abby Ales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why Belgian Candy sugar and not corn for real Abby Ales

If you can raise your alcohol level with regular corn or table sugar, why is rock and liquid candy sugar used in Belgium? I just did a kit from Listermann's that everyone that has tried it raves about and he gives corn sugar, and I can see why because the kit is reasonably priced. I ask because I am going to do Evan!'s Rochefort 10 clone a little down the road and it calls for clear and dark candy sugar and I was just curious.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

From what I understand the clear candy is rather bland and not much different from granular sugar. On the other hand the darker the sugar the deeper the flavor it adds to the beer. Many around here actually use Belgian Candi Syrup rather than the hard candy form. The syrup is suppose to be what the actual Belgian Trappist breweries use. There is a good thread around here for trying to emulate the syrups as they are expensive at about $8 for 1.5 pounds and the Westvleteren clone I will be trying would require $3 pounds total making it rather expensive.

Search for $20 pounds of sugar and yeast nutrient and a thread should pop up that describes how to make different colored syrups for these types of beers using water, table sugar and diammonium phosphate (yeast nutrient). Hope that helps.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm129 View Post
From what I understand the clear candy is rather bland and not much different from granular sugar. On the other hand the darker the sugar the deeper the flavor it adds to the beer. Many around here actually use Belgian Candi Syrup rather than the hard candy form. The syrup is suppose to be what the actual Belgian Trappist breweries use. There is a good thread around here for trying to emulate the syrups as they are expensive at about $8 for 1.5 pounds and the Westvleteren clone I will be trying would require $3 pounds total making it rather expensive.

Search for $20 pounds of sugar and yeast nutrient and a thread should pop up that describes how to make different colored syrups for these types of beers using water, table sugar and diammonium phosphate (yeast nutrient). Hope that helps.
Actually I have read how to make them, but was just wondering why it was done. You have answered the question about the dark, but I wonder about the clear.

This is where I read about making them: http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Last edited by BillTheSlink; 08-11-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added info and link

Old 08-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yes, that is a great link, and the Trappist are kind of stuck on a very old tradition, and corn is something from this new fangled world of the Americas. But sometimes great traditions should not be changed.

Pretty much I have always made my own candi sugar once I learned how, all it takes is sugar, heat, a little water and acid to invert it. I just use the juice from a lemon till I hit the soft crack, and then just add it into the last 15 minutes before I add the nutrient, Irish Moss and my immersion chiller.
Be careful, the very hot inverted sugar can splatter a little hitting the cooler boiling wort.
Here the temp range notes I use.

Inverting sugar with a little acid and water.
* Soft Ball * 115C 239F
* Hard Ball * 127C 260.6F (light)
* Soft Crack * 135C 275F (Med Light)
* Hard Crack * 150C 302F (Very Dark)

Why do I do it, I'm cheap.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

They grow sugar beets in those parts of the world - cane sugar is actually quite rare and expensive (at least it used to be when I lived in the area).

See Pfeifer & Langen Sugar Varieties and more specifically Pfeifer & Langen Candy Sugar for examples of what is typical in the area.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I
Beernik Likes This 
Old 08-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Reading through Brew Like a Monk (BLAM around here) I find that few breweries use the clear candy. Most of the advice in the book was to use plain sugar in place of candy rocks. The dark syrup was an exception and Stan offers some alternatives to buying the syrup even. At the homebrew scale it probably doesn't make a huge cost difference either way though so if the recipe is adamant about it use your own judgement.

-Craig

Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
At the homebrew scale it probably doesn't make a huge cost difference either way though so if the recipe is adamant about it use your own judgement.
Sure it does.

4 lbs of Candy Sugar is $20 at BMW, and probably closer to $30 at some LHBS.

4 lbs of home made Dark Candy sugar is $2, and roughly 20 minutes on the stove. If we're talking 2+lbs in a Belgian Dark Strong, we're talking $10 difference, which is about what the rest of the grain bill costs.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnm129 View Post

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Simply put: If you can't taste the difference between sugar beet hard candy and powdered corn sugar, then it doesn't matter. If you can taste the difference, it does matter.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 AM   #10
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Sure it does.

4 lbs of Candy Sugar is $20 at BMW, and probably closer to $30 at some LHBS.
Well, we all have our thresholds for significant cost I guess. For 5 gallons of a beer like a Belgian Dark strong that you may put down for 6-18 months $10-20 isn't a huge difference IMO. And I'm a cheap bastard... Now for a session beer I would agree. I'd hate to get 18 months down the road and think, "Man, I wonder if this would have been better with the syrup they called for in the recipe?"

That's what I meant by use your judgment.

-Craig

Quick Reply