Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > why was beer cloudy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
152Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default why was beer cloudy

I bottled my pale ale on 3/18. I ended up drinking a bunch last weekend (2 weeks in bottles) and carbonation/head were decent. I know that the beer would be better in another week or two, but... It was cloudy after refrigeration. When looking at the bottle in bright light before refrigeration, it was crystal clear. After pouring, it was cloudy. I did decant properly so it wasn't sediment/yeast from the bottom. Any thoughts? Is it just because it is 'green' yet?
Other than that it tasted fine.

Almost forgot: I did use whirlfloc last few minutes of boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Most likely Chill Haze. It occurs after only being chilled for a day or two...Try putting a few in the fridge for a week or more, this should help clear them. I find 2 weeks does a good job.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
Most likely Chill Haze. It occurs after only being chilled for a day or two...Try putting a few in the fridge for a week or more, this should help clear them. I find 2 weeks does a good job.
Thanks. That makes sense. I had them in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days. So, if my remaining beer has been in the bottle about 3 weeks, is it okay to let them finish another couple weeks in the fridge, or should I leave at room temp another week or so before chilling?

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Neonsilver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152Sumo View Post
Thanks. That makes sense. I had them in the fridge for about 3 or 4 days. So, if my remaining beer has been in the bottle about 3 weeks, is it okay to let them finish another couple weeks in the fridge, or should I leave at room temp another week or so before chilling?
I leave any beer I'm not going to drink soon at room temperature. That way I don't miss out on any aging and my fridge isn't full of beer that I'm not going to drink soon. I bring down a six or twelve pack at a time and when it starts to run low I replenish it.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonsilver View Post
I leave any beer I'm not going to drink soon at room temperature. That way I don't miss out on any aging and my fridge isn't full of beer that I'm not going to drink soon. I bring down a six or twelve pack at a time and when it starts to run low I replenish it.
I'd follow neonsilvers thoughts. I leave all beer outside of fridge to let it keep conditioning until I am going to drink it. I usually don't care too much about clarity unless I'm giving it to others. In which case I plan accordingly. Otherswise if it's just for me I put a few in the fridge in the morning before work and then they are cold for the evening.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I'd follow neonsilvers thoughts. I leave all beer outside of fridge to let it keep conditioning until I am going to drink it. I usually don't care too much about clarity unless I'm giving it to others. In which case I plan accordingly. Otherswise if it's just for me I put a few in the fridge in the morning before work and then they are cold for the evening.
Good enough for me. In fact, I was sharing with a buddy last weekend, and I was more concerned about it than him. He kept reminding me that it tasted fine, why worry about clarity. I was just being paranoid. It tasted fine so that is that.

Thanks for the input all.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Neonsilver
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152Sumo View Post
Good enough for me. In fact, I was sharing with a buddy last weekend, and I was more concerned about it than him. He kept reminding me that it tasted fine, why worry about clarity. I was just being paranoid. It tasted fine so that is that.

Thanks for the input all.
If you want to double check that it is truly chill haze then leave some of it out long enough to warm up again. If it becomes clear again then you have your answer.

On deck - AAA x2, Irish red
Primary - Baltic porter, IIPA, Mild, ESB, Milk stout, Scottish 80
Secondary - American Barleywine
Bottled - Gingerbread ale, IPA, Brown porter, RIS, Better than dead x2, APA x2, Kolsch

Quick Reply