Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why always five gallons?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
BigBlueBrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why always five gallons?

I see that the least everyone makes is five gallons. Many have only a five gallon pot and brew three gallons of water and add 2+ of plain water to bring it to five gallons. Adding the water makes the beer not taste the same as when brewed all together.

Why not do a three gallon brew and brew the entire thing and not add plain water at the end? This still yields about 30 or so bottles of beer and it tastes better.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

5 gallons because it's a reasonable maximum amount to handle without advanced equipment (for me at least) and we have buckets and carboys sized for it. It takes the same amount of time to do a 5gal batch vs a smaller batch, so why not make more beer?

I often do 4 gallon batches in 5gal carboys, esp for higher grav beers I may not want the extra 10ish bottles of. Sometimes I do it for IPAs so I can save a little on hops and also drink them before they age too much. I've done a few 2.5 gallon batches. I've split a few between 1gal bottles too.

5gal is 'standard', but do whatever you want, there's no real rule to it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 15

sure. many people do that, but the main reason people brew more is it takes marginally longer to brew more. 3 gallons takes 3.5 hours, 5 gallons takes 4-4.5 hours, and 12 takes 5 hours, for example. 3g for 3.5 hours, 12 gallons for 5 hours. depends on what you want to do, your capacity, and your available time

Taps:
1: Pilsen Ale (Pilsner made with US05)
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Hefeweizen
4: Hoegarden Saison
5: English Mild

Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do what ever you want, it`s all good.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
BigBlueBrad
Recipes 

Awesome. I was telling my wife how I wanted to get a bigger brew pot and she said until you do, just brew a batch your pot can hold. A smart wife rules.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
snipper_cr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I started going all-grain I only had the ability to do half batches (2.5 gallons). I also liked the ability to try different beers soon. I thought also going 2.5 gallons would save me time.
I have found "smaller" batches take almost the exact same time. I save time: crushing grains, heating twice the strike water and sparging twice as much.

Halving the batch saves 45 min to an hour out of a 6 hour process. Drops in the bucket for amazing, tasty, beer!

The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.

Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

people that brew 3 gallons then add 2 gallons of water are doing extract recipes, not all grain recipes.

when you brew from extract, you are already brewing from concentrate, so who cares if you do a 3 gallon boil or a 5 gallon boil? 3 gallons is easier/quicker to boil, you just have to add a little more hops since the 3 gallons is heavily saturated with sugar, and can't absorb the hops oils as easily.

...if diluting with 2 gallons of water after the boil makes beer taste like ****, then diluting with 3 gallons before the boil must REALLY make it taste like ****... see what i'm getting at there? concentrate is concentrate. period.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There has been debates on partial boils for some time. If I remember the results of blind taste tests showed people could not tell much difference. Some thought the partial was better and some liked the full boils better.

I personally think partials are fine. I do partials with the steeping grains wort results only, then add my extract and top off water. This way my extract has less time on the flame but the boil has plenty of stuff for the hops to stick to, but not too much.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbrewer View Post
do what ever you want, it`s all good.
+1