Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whoops! Forgotten ingredients.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
mehron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default Whoops! Forgotten ingredients.

So, yesterday I brewed up a Dubbel recipe from Papazian's book which was pretty simple to start with. Well, I was cleaning up and I noticed that somehow, I had actually forgotten to use the dried malt extract!

This is the recipe:

3.3lbs Breis Dark Syrup
3.3 Breis Golden Light Syrup
1.5 extra light DME
1.25 Oz Styrian Goldings hops

I'm not sure how I did it, but I think it's just because this was the first time I've used DME, so it totally slipped my mind.

So, my question would be, what can I expect from this? Would it be worth going through fermentation?

So far, there actually isn't any activity in the airlock, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the temperature in my house.

__________________
mehron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:34 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,236
Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

The beer will be fine. It won't be as heavy or powerful as a originally intended, but it'll still be drinkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehron
So, yesterday I brewed up a Dubbel recipe from Papazian's book which was pretty simple to start with. Well, I was cleaning up and I noticed that somehow, I had actually forgotten to use the dried malt extract!

This is the recipe:

3.3lbs Breis Dark Syrup
3.3 Breis Golden Light Syrup
1.5 extra light DME
1.25 Oz Styrian Goldings hops

I'm not sure how I did it, but I think it's just because this was the first time I've used DME, so it totally slipped my mind.

So, my question would be, what can I expect from this? Would it be worth going through fermentation?

So far, there actually isn't any activity in the airlock, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the temperature in my house.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
max-the-knife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, NE
Posts: 152
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

You might have invented a new light beer!

__________________
PRIMARY: empty
SECONDARY #1: empty
SECONDARY #2:
empty
KEGGED: American Lite Lager
FUTURE PROJECTS:[/
COLOR] IPA, Bock , Black Lager
max-the-knife is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,761
Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

If it were me I would boil the DME in some water and dump it in your fermenter after it cools. That's just me but I'm not big on very low gravity beers.

__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 04:19 AM   #5
mehron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
If it were me I would boil the DME in some water and dump it in your fermenter after it cools. That's just me but I'm not big on very low gravity beers.
Hmm. I was wondering about doing something like that, but I've already pitched the yeast. Would that be a problem?
__________________
mehron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RichBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,761
Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehron
Hmm. I was wondering about doing something like that, but I've already pitched the yeast. Would that be a problem?
I don't think it would so long as the extract is sanitized by boiling before you pour it in. (and cooled of course)
__________________

Cheers,
Rich

RichBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
mehron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
I don't think it would so long as the extract is sanitized by boiling before you pour it in. (and cooled of course)
Maybe I'll give it a shot. How much water would you suggest boiling 1.5 lbs of DME in? Also, how long? Considering there are no hops going in, it shouldn't need to be nearly as long as the original boil, right?
__________________
mehron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,654
Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Default

All you need is enough water to dissolve the DME. I'd start with a quart of boiling water. Dissolve the DME off the heat, boil five minutes to sanitize, cool to fermenter temperature and add.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ayrton's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 809
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehron
Hmm. I was wondering about doing something like that, but I've already pitched the yeast. Would that be a problem?
Nope. They'll eat whatever fermentables are given to them. Just make sure you do as these guys suggest and sanitize everything and MAKE SURE the stuff you heat up is cool before your dump it in. Be careful not to splash very much when you pour it into the fermenter, as that may aerate the wort again.
__________________
Primary 1: None
Primary 2: None
Secondary 1: None
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!
ayrton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
mehron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Default

Great. I'll try adding it tonight. I'll just make sure to siphon it in smoothly with a sanitized tube.

__________________
mehron is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The forgotten mead in the cellar. Having-A-Homebrew Mead Forum 7 01-20-2009 06:50 PM
Forgotten Keg O' Beer! Rhoobarb General Beer Discussion 18 12-22-2008 06:18 PM
Forgotten project, checking before I chuck it Flon18 Wine Making Forum 17 10-28-2008 11:57 PM
Forgotten Password WormBoy HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 23 04-17-2008 04:20 PM