Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A whole batch of gushers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 251

I'm in agreement with:

1) You must have aroused the yeast in some way to make them go back and do some more work. Temperature increase? Agitation to return some to suspension.

Were all your gravity samples taken at roughly the same temps?

The only thing that I can add pertaining to the gushing is what was already mentioned about chilling.

After bottling and carbonation, the CO2 needs to be forced into the beer, which is done by putting them in the fridge for at least 4 or 5 days, I prefer to chill for a week.

Not chilling will sometimes cause the problems that you are having.

PRIMARY:
SECONDARY: Apple Cider (13 gallons)
KEGGED: What Have I Dun IPA?
PLANNING: SNPA Clone v2.0
PLANNING: Blackbird Base Haus Pale Ale
PLANNING: Cascade SMaSH
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #12
agrazela
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I haven't been at this homebrewing thing for all that long, but I find that the standard advice to bottle after 3 stable gravity readings is about as foolproof as the pull-out method of birth control.

I've seen brews drop anywhere from 2 to 6 pts after bottling (then gushing when opened), even though they had stable gravity readings in the fermenter, sometimes for weeks before bottling.

I have become an advocate of doing a fast ferment test (FFT), especially on any new recipe / mash schedule / grain bill (or extract type/brand) you might try or develop, and certainly anytime you suspect you might have a stuck fermentation. I'm surprised that FFT is not referenced more on this forum, I think it could solve--or better yet, prevent!--many of the gusher issues new brewers have.

Some reading on FFT:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...t_Ferment_Test

Post #4 in this thread shares some practical experience I've had dialing in carbonation on bottled brews that did not reach true FG:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fg-h...-bombs-474367/

(BTW, my numbers are empirically derived using excellent sanitation, a digital refractometer and a Zahm-Nagel carbonation tester. Working in a food and beverage lab does have its perks!)

Old 05-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
stretcheagle
Recipes 

Well it looks like you all were dead on. I threw my bottles in the fridge and two days later, I just cracked one and got over-carbonation, but no gushing. Next time I'll just have to be a little more patient!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #14
slymaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had the same experience than you and learned a few things along the way. What I do now after bottling is I let the bottles sit 2-5 weeks at room temperature for carbing (depending on the style/ABV), then 2 weeks in the fridge to let the yeast drop. At lower temp, the pressure is lower and the carbonation is perfect.

Patience is key.

Quick Reply