Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Whoa. Will age help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Put that one in secondary for batch aging (as others said), and forget about it for a month or two, or 6.

Now go brew a quick turnaround beer so you get your pipeline going.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #12
WortIfied
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Haha thanks, I plan on getting a porter brewed this weekend, already have my DIPA bottled and expect it to be done conditioning by end of next week.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied View Post
Oh thanks, I was explained a session beer would be something you sipped over a period of time.

Thanks for clarifying that!
It sounds like a session beer would be sipped over a session- but the reverse is true. A "session beer" is a beer you can pound over an evening (a session) and not be unable to function! A "sessionable beer" is about 4% or under and easy drinking. You've got yourself a sipper there!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied
Haha thanks, I plan on getting a porter brewed this weekend
Why do I get the feeling you are going to add 750ml of rum AND 1/2# coffee, and wth, some oatmeal!
oh well, lol, it is your beer. I was thinking something like BM's Centennial Blonde that can be done in 2-3 weeks if you keg.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #15
WortIfied
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
Why do I get the feeling you are going to add 750ml of rum AND 1/2# coffee, and wth, some oatmeal!
oh well, lol, it is your beer. I was thinking something like BM's Centennial Blonde that can be done in 2-3 weeks if you keg.
Haha, nope, just a good ol porter, from kit. Midwest power pack porter. No additives this time! Hah. And I don't keg yet, I'm trying to slowly bring the wife on my side with my new hobby, so eventually! At least that double IPA is almost ready to drink.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #16
tallgirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortIfied View Post
Haha, nope, just a good ol porter, from kit. Midwest power pack porter. No additives this time! Hah. And I don't keg yet, I'm trying to slowly bring the wife on my side with my new hobby, so eventually! At least that double IPA is almost ready to drink.
Oh, swoon. Never made an IPA. I wanna make me one, except most of my friends think hops are yucky and too much hops is even yuckier.

I need new friends ...

Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #17
Hops4life
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tallgirl you need new friends for sure.

If anyone is into DIPA's I suggest you travel to new England and hit up some heady topper from a brewery called The Alchemist. To die for DIPA.

I'm a hop head but looking to do something more dark for my next brew. I tend to stick with ambers/apa/ipa but want to do something outside the norm. Just can't decide what.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
WortIfied
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops4life View Post
Tallgirl you need new friends for sure.

If anyone is into DIPA's I suggest you travel to new England and hit up some heady topper from a brewery called The Alchemist. To die for DIPA.

I'm a hop head but looking to do something more dark for my next brew. I tend to stick with ambers/apa/ipa but want to do something outside the norm. Just can't decide what.
I have on order the Movember Hopstache Black IPA but am going to use 1oz Warrior for bittering hops and then continuesly hop for the full 60 using the provided hops in the kit, right after I brew the porter!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #19
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 145

hey, I appreciate your efforts to make a special brew. I too have that urge to tinker with my kits. I have a java stout and superior strong ale coming tomorrow and I am debating adding some chocolate to the java. I was thinking of almost making a bottling batch (sugar or honey and water) and add choc powder to this then adding to the boil the last 10-15 minutes.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #20
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I used to tamper with my kits until I noticed that I was making some pretty overwhelming beers that mostly just sat around aging while I spent good money on more moderate commercial beers. I still love brewing up some freak juice, but at least 3 of 4 beers I make now are 1.060 or less and at least roughly based on a traditional style.

Quick Reply